29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a picture of Vanilla Snail.

1476935663164.jpg

The only freshwater leopard snail I could find any information on is a nerite, and she looks like an apple.

I scooped up Snaily's babies (that I could find) and put them in a breeder net. Hopefully they don't disappear.

I have 5 of Snaily's babies in a breeder net now, so I'm hopeful they'll get big enough to avoid being food.

I got the API pH test kit today after using a phenol red kit for several months. Very different results. I wish I had not waited until I was out of the phenol to get the API test because I'd like to verify that it's the different tests, not that there was a big change in the tank.

I have 5 of Snaily's babies in a breeder net now, so I'm hopeful they'll get big enough to avoid being food.

I got the API pH test kit today after using a phenol red kit for several months. Very different results. I wish I had not waited until I was out of the phenol to get the API test because I'd like to verify that it's the different tests, not that there was a big change in the tank.

That's interesting on test results and had heard of this a few times. Would be interested if you do any comparison test work next time or anything.

Snaily and her nine babies have their own digs now.

1477244644569.jpg

Nine!

They are tiny poop machines, and the breeder net was getting *gross.* They have some substrate, plants, and water from the big tank as well as an air stone, bit of seaweed, and a cuttlebone. I can do daily water changes.

They grow so quickly it amazes me.

I'm considering converting the 10 gallon to brackish. Research research research!

Today was very busy, and it makes me realize just how much I value the time fish gazing. I also saw a 40 gallon with 5 goldfish today. ?

I added a little bit of sea salt to the 10 gallon today. The transition has begun.

I have ammonia in the big tank again. No nitrites, nitrates 5. I don't know where the ammonia would be coming from, and it seems like I should have nitrites if it were a cycling issue.

1477573476318.jpg

You may say, "Shine, mystery snails are notorious escape artists. This should not surprise you!" Except that this snail is from the big tank, so she had a serious journey.

We got three Harlequin rasboras yesterday, and they started out great. They even got deeper in color! But then I noticed that one of them was a little too close to the filter siphon. I turned the filter off, and it twitched a few times while sinking to the bottom. I feel miserable about it. I put part of a media bag over the siphon until I can get a prefilter sponge.

1477771157096.jpg

They are so great!

I went to a different shop to get more Harlequins. The woman working there said they don't carry Harlequins, but they do have swordtail rasboras. [emoji55] Same difference, right?

Sunny is acting strangely again. It actually looked like there was something black coming out of her back end, but not where poop comes out. She's also been stopping suddenly and pointing straight up. Poor thing.

Tested ammonia on the big tank and found myself giddy that it is 0. I was so worried that adding so many fish at once would overwhelm the system. The water clouded up quite a bit, which is disappointing, but 0 ammonia makes me very happy.

1478004966480.jpg
1478004980069.jpg

I love them and I think they are wonderful, but I'm going to let them grow a bit and see if this local "fish nerd" place is interested.

Tested ammonia on the big tank and found myself giddy that it is 0. I was so worried that adding so many fish at once would overwhelm the system. The water clouded up quite a bit, which is disappointing, but 0 ammonia makes me very happy.

Congrats! Imo, the older a tank the more robust the bacterial population is but always a worry with new fish.

Got some new microsword.
1478828412956.jpg
1478828453770.jpg

Sat down for the weekly water tests.
1478828495120.jpg
NOPE.

Things are sorted out now. Pretty sure my DIY CO2 exploded but into the tank instead of out of the bottles themselves.

A huge water change yesterday got ammonia down to .5ppm. This morning it was below .25. Now I'm out of town until Sunday and hope nothing gets too crazy while I'm gone. Spouse is doing a water change tomorrow.

(sigh)
I'll miss gazing these next couple of days.
1478828938413.jpg

Back
Top Bottom