29 gal aquascape question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What would be the best way to lay down sand up front and keep the gravel in the back?

If I do this, it'll be in a couple months when it warms up as pfs is no where to be found around here... Unless I order offline. Petco sand is just too expensive.

For those that wonder why I want to do such a thing.... I get bored with tanks quite easy. I love switching things up. I'd keep the front gravel in, just move it to the back.

Ultimately, I guess my question is what will hold the gravel back and separate it from sand so it doesn't mix?

Go to home depot and buy play sand 6 bucks for 100 lbs. rinse it a few times in bucket or container and pour it in.

Derekkaine said:
Go to home depot and buy play sand 6 bucks for 100 lbs. rinse it a few times in bucket or container and pour it in.

How do I keep the gravel held back?

ForumRunner_20111218_200230.jpg

Buy a piece of lexan about the same width as the tank push it back and pour the sand in front

Derekkaine said:
Buy a piece of lexan about the same width as the tank push it back and pour the sand in front

Anything cheaper? Lol lexan is expensive!

You could drain the tank Into a fish safe bucket and use a piece of plywood to hold it back

It is really difficult to keep them from mixing, even if you put a board or a piece of lexan in. It can look amazing, having 2 different substrates, but it is a fleeting thing... not practical for maintaining a display tank, at least in my experience.

Maybe I better play it safe and not mess with it then.

I'd ditch the gravel and go pure sand. It looks better bottom feeders like it more and provides more surface area for beneficial bacteria and it gets less dirty than gravel.

I just added some black gravel to my black sand in my 30 gallon. It's mixed in but the gravel is mostly in the back. It looks beautiful. If you can't get the two perfectly separated try the mixed look and see what you think.

Do you happen to have a picture, Alyxx?

Nevermind. I somehow missed the one you uploaded.

My filters are powerful and my water is low right now, so it is aerating the water really well. Two big cascades of bubbles!

Back
Top Bottom