29 gal build from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeadFish83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been awhile since I was here. I currently have a 29 hex with freshwater fish (shutting down to make room for the new tank). It currently is home to 2 silver dollars, an albino pleco, an algae eater, 5 neon tetra's and a fancy guppy(I think, I "adopted" him from the pet store). I am in the process of gathering information and equipment for a 29 gallon rectangle tank.

Currently looking for anyone who has DIY plans for a stand for the tank. Built the stand for my hex.

Placement of filter? I am using a MarineLand canister filter that clips on the back of the tank. It has pretty good circulation in my hex tank, but will it have the same in the new tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back! You an look up plans for a DIY stand, there all over the internet. You could try a canister filter, SunSun, Fluval and Eheim are all brans that come to mind. The silver dollars will eventually need a way bigger tank, at least a 55, so hopefully you've got something in mind for them. Glad to see another aquarist! :)

I am going to transfer the filter I have from the hex to the new tank... Its good up to 55 gallons for filtration, but was wondering about circulation of the water since I'm going from a hex to rectangle. The filter is a Marineland canister, HOT Magnum.

Would I need a small circ fan?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452088834.847617.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452088851.829410.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452088863.033592.jpg
Few shots of the hex tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452779844.137155.jpg
My 29 gallon build slowly coming together. 113 LED multi-spectrum light is in the top box behind the tank. I will be using some parts off the 29 gallon hex to save a little cash.

Been Here, left and now I'm back!

Started on my stand today... Next weekend will be sheeting and doors.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454874977.569541.jpg

Welcome back. Looks solid.

You know I never see anyone do this but I was thinking if I were talented to build one of these (I could build the frame maybe but not finish it quite right), I would want to use a water treatment product on the cut ends a few coats and then on the rest of it a nice amount of water sealant as to help insure spills didn't have any noticeable effect on the wood. Have you considered anything like that?

Going to sheet it with 1/2" birch... Then stain it a dark chocolate color. It really doesn't take much skill, just patience!

Alrighty... Time to decide on substrate. I currently have black sand in the tank I am shutting down and like the look. I want to keep with sand in my new tank, but don't want to spend a tone of money. I was thinking pool filter sand would do the job. I've read on here where people use it and love it. My question is pay extra at the pool shop or pay less at the local hardware shop(Lowes/Menards)? Is the extra cost worth the price to save a headache of cleaning? Does it come in other colors? Can I still plant live plants?

If you happen to be near a supplier for sand blasting sand it comes in black, brown and many other colors naturally and I have Garnet (mine is from Idaho and it is purple pinkish color but there are also orangeish color too, I would try if I found it) sand in a tank and it is pretty clean because it is used for sanding.

There is black at tractor supply and farm supply stores as well. It is coal slag usually at the farm stores. Think it could be magnetic - can't really remember but check before you dip a mag float tank glass cleaner in there and scratch the glass up if you get it.

Yes you can use sand for planted tanks. Eco complete is often on sale though around $20 and a nice substrate for planted tanks, online.

I have used Pavestone construction sand and it was pretty clean.

Though you might check if the local hardware store has sand blasting sand as it will likely even be cleaner. I think we got it for around $18. for 40-50 lbs from the welding sand blasting sand supplier. And there are different sand grain sizes to select from.

But at a different store probably $25. for 40-50 lbs.

If you are gonna use sand then consider a pre filter sponge on your HOB if you use one.

Thanks for the info. Been using a HOT canister for a couple years with no sponge... Might make the investment.

How much cleaning does pool filter sand need? Can I just add it to my tank, it has no water at this point? I am waiting on the weather to change so I can dig out my table saw to finish my stand.

No way would it be prudent to add PFS to the tank and not rinse it out before hand.

Even after you rinse in the bucket - search for many threads on ways to do this - and it seems clean, just keep on rinsing, what looks like a small amount of cloudiness in the bucket is 10x worse looking in the tank.

Thanks for the headsup

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471127619.024319.jpg
Just finished it today... Waiting on the rest of my plants.

Back
Top Bottom