30L Biorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any idea what kind they are? A few of them have the orange black and turquoise. Red actually got up and swam around for a minute to take a look at them.

I dont know. I got some like your first picture. I call them hybrids. I figure unless your buying pure lines from a breeder many are kinda mutts. But thats what makes them unique. Mine came from feeder tanks.

PWC vacuum and water tests today. The Endlers were nipping my Betta so they were removed. Now Red has new tankmates CPDs. They have been in there with him close to a week and they are much more peaceful than the Endlers. IMG_8676.jpg
IMG_8679.jpgIMG_8735.jpg
Water tests are perfect. I will keep testing the tank since I really think it is overstocked. Red is still laying in the plants or on the bottom 99% of the time but he is still making sure he gets his portion of chow. It's like an aging movie star who makes cameo appearances. I have greatly reduced the amount of food going into the tank as well.

Right...I'm going to have to break the cycle of compliments on this setup. While it may seem visually appealing, it is torture to the fish. No fish should be kept in a bowl, no matter how big. You could maybe get away with shrimp or snails in a "tank" like this, but not fish. Before I get hit with a wave of angry responses from bowl enthousiasts, let me elaborate:
1. The shape of the bowl minimizes the surface-to-air ratio, which means that less oxygen can dissolve in the water compared to a standard rectangular/square tank. You may say that bettas breathe atmospheric air - true, but that is more of a survival mechanism in low-oxygen environments than a life-long adaptation, and may be stressful in the long run. Plus, at night the betta might want to sleep comfortably instead of having to come up for air every 2 minutes.
2. Fitting a heater in a bowl borders on the impossible, which means that the temperature in the tank can't be properly regulated. This can result in temperature fluctuations that could be dangerous to the fish.
3. Most of the time, a filter is almost impossible to install in a bowl, and an unfiltered tank poses risks of ammonia spikes (which causes significant stress to the fish and might be lethal), among others. Keeping water parametres stable in an unfiltered tank is very difficult. Not to mention that unfiltered set ups are much harder to keep clean. Going filterless could work in a large and very heavily planted tank, though.
4. The curved sides of the bowl magnify and distort everything the fish sees, which causes chronic stress. Constantly swimming around in circles is additionally damaging to the animals' spine, muscles and labyrinth organ.
So, to sum it up - your bowl (because it can't be called an aquarium) may be nice to look at, but in all other respects, it's wrong. Try swapping it even for a small 5gal rectangular tank. The visual appeal will not be lost, and both you and your fish will be happier.

Last edited:
Haven't updated in a month! Tsk tsk tsk. Well I have been keeping up with my PWC and vacuum. We go a floating log for Red and he spends about 90% of his time in there. The CPDs have gotten bigger and starting to color. IMG_9857.jpgIMG_9656.jpgIMG_9802.jpg

Oh yes they are looking more like they are getting closer to adulthood.

How does Red seem to be feeling other than enjoying the floating log near the top of the tank?

Red patrols the tank on occasion. He likes to lay on top of the snail pellets and taunt the snails. He enjoys watching the CPDs. He never misses a meal.

Red patrols the tank on occasion. He likes to lay on top of the snail pellets and taunt the snails. He enjoys watching the CPDs. He never misses a meal.

Glad to hear he is back to his Red self. :cool: My little toddler Grandson's (not exactly mine) newer Betta is doing alright didn't want to eat at first but now is like an eating machine once he got used to the food selection.

All your tanks are looking great!

Haven't updated in a month! Tsk tsk tsk. Well I have been keeping up with my PWC and vacuum. We go a floating log for Red and he spends about 90% of his time in there. The CPDs have gotten bigger and starting to color. View attachment 300038View attachment 300039View attachment 300040

That's a nice little tank you got there! Low maintenance too! This would be perfect for someone in an apartment or who is just starting out. Have you ever thought about adding some Moss Balls to the front?

I tried moss balls a long time ago. The snails kept rolling them around and moving them into dark corners.

Tank has been doing just fine. Doing my regular PWC and vacuum. Red floats in his log and the CPDs are nice and active, but not manic like the Endlers. IMG_0384.jpgIMG_0360.jpgIMG_0305.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0345.jpg

I was looking at this thread and when it was started and could swear I set this tank up a year ago. Sure enough I found the original thread where I first got it and set it up. Biorb - how many gallons?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349986

Red is still in here. He's in his log most of the time. I think he has a problem swim bladder and is elderly. He comes out to eat and inspect, and say hi. Intimidate the CPDs. I removed about half the plants so the fish would have a half open area for swimming and the other half to lurk in the plants.

Using the biomedia and sponges as an undergravel filtration system has been doing fine. I clean the media and sponges every 6 months to keep "old tank" syndrome at bay. Just about due! Next weekend.

Happy Anniversary next week ;). I have always loved this (actual Biorb) tank. Since I don't have one, watching yours has been good for me. It is a lovely little ball of fun to watch! Thank you for sharing it.

All of the plants were pretty much the same shade of green. So I added some wisteria, AR Mini trimmings from my main tank and some new Buce today. Also added a few root tabs. IMG_0516.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0872.jpgIMG_0878.jpgIMG_0876.jpg

New Buce "Royal Blue" is from Junglefowl. Hope if does well in this tank. CPD's and Red inspected and it meets their approval.

Back
Top Bottom