~4' tall Wine Glass Tank - Won at Auction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those shrimp - see all, know all :)

Those shrimp are derpy and creepy and so funny. Honestly can't even understand why I have them.

But I like them BECAUSE they are so funny.

They do the normal shrimp antics like hang upside down on the top of the water, ballet swim around to go get some food, dart quickly to steal a pellet from the coming mouth of a fish (or other shrimp).

But darn it anyway, they are basically invisible - with big eyes, and a visible stomach after they eat!!!

I thought they would be gone after a few months or so, as in die off since they were feeder shrimp...

#########################

They seem to be gentle enough with the fish and not the same as the sometimes discussed online, as in aggressive Indian Whisker Shrimp monsters attacking and eating your fish.

They stay larger side size of dwarf shrimp, more similar in size to an Amano shrimp. Females being larger as usual with shrimp.

Most have no color excepting the digestive tract.

And the tiny red cuffs, though not all have the reddish color. Maybe they aren't mature enough?

Funny googly eyes set above the head. :eek:

Anyway just a fun update for the little invisible shrimp with giant eyes.

WOW gorgeous

Thank you very much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reflection on keeping this tank

Funny that over time I really love this tank. I figured I would get rid of it or pass it on to someone else locally.

It popped into my life when I was solidly resolved to get rid of more tanks to better focus on less quantity and have more quality.

Then it was ideal for the Iwagami Seiryu stones which I figured I wouldn't end up using since I was getting rid of tanks not making more.

Summary
And so as this is running now around a year and a half, it is the easiest tank.

I use water from the wine glass to water plants on the table next to it and after evaporation and using water to water plants I will add water about a half gallon once a week and then a gallon at water change time.

The inset sponge filter sits in back and frequently get plants and moss rooting into it. It is cleaned when the bubbles coming up from the filter seem about half what they should be. Maybe every 6-12 weeks. Once in awhile I just clean it if I feel like I have been feeding a lot.

Every few months I do a round of water parameter tank checks when the test kit is out. Never had an issue.

PH stays around 7.2 sometimes around 7.5 or 7.6 was the highest.

Sometimes I will add a bit of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) water for the plants, if I made it up for my other tanks.

Sometimes I add a little API Natural Trace which has a nice assortment of minerals which I add for the benefit of the shrimp.

Our city water comes from a reservoir sometimes in the year which is 7.2 to 7.5 pH and other time in the year it is from snow melt and has low pH 6.5 or less often and 0 / Zero kH. It then actually needs the boost of minerals for maintaining a stable tank.

The Galaxy Koi Betta Mae West really perked up the activity and added color.

Over the year and a half I have lost a few Guppies in the tank. Planning on a couple more (males only) to round out the rainbow colors. The few Habrosus dwarf Cories I added to keep the one loner company seemed to dwindle. I got 6 if I remember Pygmy Cories and they seemed to be doing just fine and swim all around the tank and also come to the top to eat, maybe to get away from the food gobbling shrimp zone lol.

My little National Geographic touch light for nano tanks had become very dim, I bought a clearance duplicate since I knew it Just barely fit on the rim.

Didn't open it up though.

After moving another container had a half LED's burned out older style Finnex Stingray clip light and added it to get some extra light on the tank.

Unknown why my Vesivius Sword died maybe from too much light/or the change. It was one of my favorite plants in there so that was a bummer. Helanthium 'Vesuvius' (previously called Echínodorus 'Vesuvius') says Tropic Aquarium Plants. (y)

In removing one container and then the 20G Long, moved a water living roots in the water, foliage out top, Anthurium to the top of the Wine Glass nearest the french door/sunlight. Even though it is protected in the corner and doesn't get direct sunlight.

A couple months ago I removed the old National Geographic clamp light. I am having very nice growth in the tank and basically not any problems with algae.

Scraped off a brownish patch and a greenish one several months ago when both lights were on it.

Just added a cuttlebone which was visible floating on top in that last tank shot, hadn't sunk yet.

I wipe off the glass with a microfiber cloth every once in awhile and a paper towel swoop around the inside of the rim once in awhile.

About 5 min of maintenance per week.

One thing I may try is adding some flexible strip light made by Current USA around the lower back just to see inside the bottom better. This is because I already own/have the strip appx 4' of it, just need to think of how to add it and if I have the AC plug and the remote.

Also my favorite substrate fert caps (Stemma and Rosetta by Ferka) have been unavailable for over a year and I have exhausted my stock up supply and will need to find a new option.

Planning on just maintaining the thing until it ends up broken - that long wine glass stem quivers around and I get nervous frequently. :hide: Pretty clumsy...

Last edited:
Fun pic. Was amused to see all these guys snacking on fish food as I was passing by and though it would be a good share.

Look at all the snail poop on the shell side of the cuttlebone! Snails are pooping machines!

All these snails are in the air - slight bit of water on the shell!

60074-albums14728-picture72220.jpg

Well a tiny update. It is about 2 years old now!

There have been some changes and atm, this tank is holding appx. 7 Neons I "adopted" from the fish store (after 2ish week QT), there were new fish and I needed to move them put of the QT tank for the newer fish but wanted to take more time before adding them to the 72G. More caution.

Now they need to go to the 72G. BUT they know how to hide in the spots I couldn't catch them in.

SO removed much of the Duckweed and clipped nearly 20 long leaves from the Tiger Lily sitting around the top. There are still appx. 20 leaves, although many are small at the lower area of bulb.

There are appx. 7 Pygmy Cories. Added a few from QT of the groups I got around January to the 4 I think were still in there.

There are 2 male Endlers (scooped out their 2 friends + 1 Neon + 1 Guppy) earlier, and will give it a clean and filter, hope to capture the Neons.

Will add back a few Endler males and Phoenix the Betta who is suffering from numerous growths /tumors and may not live too long.

The long story here of Phoenix and the experience of Importing him from Thailand and how he nearly died now at least 2x.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Ghost Shrimp are still all around the tank.

Phoenix is a very chill fish and has lived with shrimp for quite some time with their populations increasing. He has lived with 2 Amano shrimp in another tank and also they both, being adults survived with no apparent interest in eating them.

Not worried for the shrimp population from him. Also with the Guppies and Endler males in the tank seemingly so many hiding places not a worry.

Plus the shrimp come up and sometimes fight over the food with the fish. Hahahahaha! The momma shrimp can be much bigger than an Endler. 2x size, I would worry more for the Endler male than the shrimp!!!

Will get a better pic of the tank itself, but it was layer of layer of plants since it is winter and I decided to buy too many new house plants ;). I really couldn't get into the corner to clean it out well.

No excuse now that I spring cleaned out the corner.

60074-albums12102-picture72553.jpg

Also now without the too, too many leaves from the Lily and removal of the thick coating of Duckweed, AND the newer Planted + Finnex clip light (which I love btw), I can actually see into the tank!

Love it again. Will be throwing in a few colorful male Guppy and Guppy Endlers.

Probably will move the Lily, or at least the larger portion of it to another tank and make more room there.

Plants growing out the top are Anthurium coral red and Tradescantia zebrina /Burgundy.

Subwassertang aka Susswassertang a huge mass like a bit bigger than if both your hands were around a football size cloud of it!

One of my favorite plants - it looks amazing in there. Give me low tech all day long. Best for relaxing-ly enjoying the tanks. (y)

Thanks for following along and sharing your thoughts and comments!

:cool::lol::cool::D:cool::lol::cool::D::cool:

Last edited:
Phoenix Sunset gets to eat his pellets in peace.
60074-albums14728-picture72558.jpg

Haven't seen these rocks for nearly 2 years!
60074-albums14728-picture72557.jpg

And here is the really pretty Green Lightening Endler
More vibrant than the pic.

60074-albums14728-picture72556.jpg

Also haven't seen that there is a forest of BBA on that DW with the plants that grew over it, but I knocked everything off the rocks and the wood ( trying to catch the Neons) and so many surprises!

So the tank got vac'd seriously.

I went through almost 5 buckets of water!!!!! I did find the long Edge vac part but not the tubing (though it is stretched out even after getting trimmed).

My spare tubing I used was sucking air so everything took so much longer, and had to stop and restart about half a 5G bucket of water at a time.

I had a discard bucket and refill bucket. when I got to half glass, I had to add water because there didn't seem to be enough water pressure.

Surely it needs more vac'ing but I am done for a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Rinsed out the sponge filter and it wasn't too bad.

Found the bulb of the lily with a few tiny babies. And 3 small plants coming off of that spot and intertwined with all the lily leaves. Left the big one in for now as I do not have the spot ready for it yet.

Removed the 7 Neons and added

Yellow Albino Snakeskin Guppy,
Japan Blue Lyretail Guppy,
Platinum Red Mosaic big ear Guppy,
Snakeskin Green Guppy
Male Cobra Endler

Already there is a Red some kind of Endler edit: calling him "fancy" Endler which was closest match online, lol
and Green Lightning Endler

Last edited:
This tank is chugging along. Seems to be okay.

I lost my other Betta, awhile back, and got a new one when I dared look at a container and a beautiful little guy looking like I needed to take him home.

He is sociable to the other fish and keeps to himself more times than not.

It is crammed full right now of Subwassertang aka Susswassertang. And too many Malaysian Trumpet snails, I keep scooping out excess when I see they are dog-piled on a wafer.

Having technical difficulties with pics right now not loading onto the laptop. Will post some catch ups pics when possible.

Though I wanted to just take this down to reduce tank quantity at my house but I really still love it, so after the periodic re-evaluating the tank situation, maintenance is simple.

Every couple /few months, time varies, when the flow starts reducing, I rinse the sponge filter.

Weekly wipe off the outside of the tank, scoop out a 1-2 gallons of water and do pwc's.

Generally use the tank water every couple days with a turkey baster to water my plants on the plant table next to it. Then refill.

Two plants are emerged, an Anthurium which has never done well, keeps one leaf at a time dying off. But the other plant is a near 3 foot long with a couple shoots from a snippet of (started at probable 4-5 inches) of Tradescantia Spiderwort maybe 'Purple Passion' variety Doing great!

Probably will look for another emergent plant to pop in there.

This tank is a favorite! The Subwassertang plants have really took of and fill about half the tank, and It's time to spruce it up again!

Back
Top Bottom