40 breeder Apistogramma build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They kind of all look fem to me?? Dorsal spike means something. I forget though :/

I thought that the couple longer ones and if there are blue spots on the black patch right below it or not that was the easiest way to tell. But you and cb have both said that I have to females and I’m inclined to go with y’all’s experience

They're females .. I look at rams all day ~!
I am late to the party as is common ..
How when you wanted female mcmasteris did you end up with a male hongslio rostrich ??
He was a looker ,shame you lost him ...

I didn’t think he was a McMasteri after he colored up. That’s probably what stressed out the females to bring out the disease if he didn’t kill them himself. I’ve still got that male though, he’s an awesome fish comes right up to the front if I walk up and will follow you from side to side.

So what should I look for if I want to find a male gbr then cb? I think I might try and swap out one of the females for a male if I can.

The best tell is still the anal fin .
Look for a ram with it's anal fin that clearly reaches into the tail fin .
That will be a male ,Most females have a shorter anal fin that ends at the base of the tail ..
If they are the same age then the male should be noticeably larger also ..
If they all look the same size then likely they are all same sex IMO .

Well this tank has kind of turned into an algae mess in the week I was out of town. Dog sitter took it upon themselves to turn the lights on 12+ hours a day and I’m pretty sure feed a couple times a day, even though I asked them not to mess with the tank. Going to try a split light schedule, and if that doesn’t work I’ll start researching co2.

Fish sitters are often fish killers!!!

Well I will be following along about CO2 - Something I have been considering. Basically what I recall is a 2 stage regulator is important for accuracy and fish safety. DIY yeast bottles are yuck. These sorts of things are my least favorite things to study about for a tank. Please share your findings and thoughts!

That sucks. Dont touch the tanks! Hit me up before you buy any gear. I have 2 of everything you need.

Will do brooks, thanks. I’ve done 6 50% changes while manually removing as much as I can and have it set for 2 4 hour periods with 6 dark hours in between. Gonna see how bad it is by Sunday my normal wc day.

Well the algae has definitely returned, but it’s also not nearly as bad. It’s totally killing the moss though as that seems to be what collects most of it. Was thinking about trying some Amano shrimp but also thought they might become expensive food for the apistos sand rams. Also did something last weekend that’s probably dumb but has been working out awesome so far. Pics to come if I can get the tank looking half way decent or at least not horrendous

Back
Top Bottom