40g Breeder African tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my girlfriend suprised me two months early by getting a 40g breeder and hood for me today at petco. 1$ /g sale rocks :D

I've decided after talking to numerous people and reading that I'm still going to try to do malawi tank. I have 7 Africans that should stay within 5-6" range, and I will have a bigger (canister) filter before they reach adulthood. Oh also an Albino BN Pleco. I've read many cases where people are successful, you just gotta find the right fish :)

Anyway..let me know what you think, it's still a work in progress. I'm going to black out the back, and get more rocks / change it as they grow older.

I'm prepared for the aggression with my QT tank. Hopefully I'll get lucky and not need to rehome any of these.

hahahaaaa i claim 2nd postage :)
that tank is once again incredible!!!! they look very healthy. can u identify all the stocking or do u want some help?
i hope u get little bubbies soon x well done!

Thanks!

I'd like some help.

I THINK I have
1x Trewavas Cichlid, Red-finned Cichlid
1x Electric Yellow
2x Kennyi (females)
1x Auratus, Malawi Golden Cichlid
1x (The blue guy in the first fish picture) idk
1x Peacock
above pictures, in order, should be ____, golden cichlid, elec yellow and red fin.

Thank you for the link.

I'll probably have to change it up a bit at some point, but we'll see how they act.

I was using a different website as research, but this is very organized and allowed me to read on my species, thanks todd.

My small space may require me to get rid of the red fin / demasoni / auratus. This also says the Kennyi are very aggressive too, but it was easier for me to pick females using kennyi at the LFS and she also told me they are a bit more mild on aggression. I could maybe just do:

2x Yellows (f)
2x Kennyi (f)
2x Blue Johannii (f)
2x MALES (different kinds, maybe keep my red fin and demasoni?)

Would the setup above be better?

My full stock list right now after more reading:
1x Peacock (they told me it was mbuna, but I'm pretty sure it's a peacock)
2x Female Kennyi
1x Auratus
1x Demasoni
1x Red fin
1x Yellow
1x BN pleco

One thing to remember is that there is actually more footprint area on a 40b than there is in a 55g, so the 55 minimum thing that a lot of sites recommend is nulled by that IMO. You are dealing with less water volume though, so effective filtration is a must, but I'd stock a 40b the same as a 55.

That's why I got the breeder. Right now my filter is rated for 60g, but they are also just little guys. Before adulthood I will have purchased a new filter.

I'm thinking either Fluval 305/405 canister, or a Aquaclear 110.

I'm just going to start up a thread in cichlid discussion. This is for showcasing, I'll put questions there :)

Back
Top Bottom