5.5G Betta Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatrinaB87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I haven't had a tank for close to 10 years. I used to work at Petsmart, and all of my paychecks generally went to fish tanks and paraphernalia. Recently a friend of mine and I decided to each get back into it, and to get a Betta tank. I knew I wanted live plants, got natural colored gravel, and a log decoration for him to hide in.

So I bought my tank and my plants and my stuff and set it up, and I thought I had it looking great for it just starting out! My half moon betta is swimming around happy as can be, playing peek-a-boo in his log, trying and failing miserably to eat the guppy fry that lives with him (temporarily, I'm sure.)

And then I found this page. Thanks guys. Thanks. :ermm: Now I feel like my little tank is just pathetic, and rather amateur. Now I need more tanks. And more plants. And more more.

Today while I was gazing at it, I noticed snail snot under some of my mondo grass. I scraped it off and threw it away, but now I'm panicked that I will end up with snails that I don't really want. Do I need to worry? Should I treat it with chemicals? I want to at some point get an african dwarf frog, but will they actually eat the eggs and such?

Any advice is appreciated!

Anywho, here it is!

DSC_0849.jpg

Don't worry I know exactly what you mean. I like the tank maybe a small sword would look nice with some crypts too. I'm about to set up a 5gal Betta planted tank they're on my plans. If you get some real sense growth you could consider some shrimp aswell.

Don't worry about what other people say. It looks great and your betta looks happy!

I think its a nice little tank. anubias would be a nice addition and is fairly cheap (they come in those tubes most times at the stores now). I'm really into nano tanks and nano fish and have several bettas so I like it. Don't be disheartened by what you see on here. I am no aquascaper at all but I still admire the scapes others share on here, with just a tad bit of envy. lol Your first tank in a long time and you should be proud of it!

My only concern is your light being very central to the middle of the tank and not spreading enough light for plants.
Edit: also did you say mondo grass? It's not fully aquatic plant and will begin to rot in the tank.

Matt: it's the light that came with it, and I was thinking the same thing. In a pretty tight budget but once I get some extra money I'm planning on getting better lights. Suggestions? And yes, it is mondo grass. I've always had it fully submerged in tanks and can't remember a problem with it, but I'll keep a close eye on it! The other plants are moneywort and... The name escapes me. The petsmart I got the plants from didn't have a great selection. I need to look around other places and see what I can find!

And thanks y'all for your kind words about my little tank!

One thing though- how can I slow the current down????

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Matt: it's the light that came with it, and I was thinking the same thing. In a pretty tight budget but once I get some extra money I'm planning on getting better lights. Suggestions? And yes, it is mondo grass. I've always had it fully submerged in tanks and can't remember a problem with it, but I'll keep a close eye on it! The other plants are moneywort and... The name escapes me. The petsmart I got the plants from didn't have a great selection. I need to look around other places and see what I can find!

And thanks y'all for your kind words about my little tank!

One thing though- how can I slow the current down????

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I thought it maybe. If you're on a budget you can construct a diy led system. I set one up with the help of my dad (17 and unemployed ?)
I think the other plant is wisteria. All are easy low light plants. Most stores don't...I live in Australia and I rotate between two private businesses and 1 chain store and it's very similar stock between the three. One does often have nice dw and Anubias and one sells a lot of crypts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom