5 Gallon tank (small i know)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This guy looks almost identical to one of yours! ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399739146.209944.jpg
Also what other fish have you got in there?

Have you checked your stocking? looks over stocked, platys and most live bearers have huge bioloads. TBH, im not even comfortable having more then 4 in a 10 due to their reproduction. otherwise nice tank

Hi Dangreen,
I have tetras in there as well, I found a baby platy in there earlier today :)

I'm just going by what my pet store advised me, according to them this is under stocked, however all my fish are happy, I am continuing to add hiding places so they can de-stress if needs be and I don't mind the maintenance as I do 25% water changes twice a week. Oh and the picture shows 3 different options of stocking guidelines for my tank from the pet store, I always thought that they were a bit high...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399746267.277074.jpg

I think mattyfelts meant me, but I asked the man in the aquatic shop and he said that amount was ok. I have another tank that is a bit bigger that has my one goldfish in but it's a coldwater tank and has no hood with a light.

well now techically both of you, the fish stores will tell you anything to make a sale. Being overstocked is not good, it causes tank crashes, ammonia spikes, and other issues (including fish death). Petsmart will tell you that a goldfish can go in a 10 gallon, while we know that it needs a substantially larger aquarium for proper health.

Also Nayuls39, i would reccomend a bigger tank for both fish, the goldfish has an extremely high bioload and could become stunted in there.

Back
Top Bottom