50 gallon Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonata

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 50 gallon is cycling. I'd like to put 2 fancy goldfish & a bristlenose in it. What do you think?

Do you plan on adding a heater?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With two fancy goldfish just make sure you have a filter good for 20-30 gal more then the size of the tank. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 fancy goldfish in it and I do 2 10% water changes a week minimum. Also with the pleco they as well have a lot of waste so be sure to keep up on the cleaning of the tank. Have a good test kit and a substrate vacuum to help monitor and maintain water

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My research says a bristlenose in one of the only plecos that will do well in a goldfish tank.

Any fancies you would recommend ? I don't like Black Moors or those with the bubble eyes. I have seen pictures of veiltails, fantails & many varieties of each. I am only getting 2. Are there 2 that would look nicely together in my 50 gallon ?

Would a 50 gallon tank with 2 veiltail goldfish & a bristlenose, be overcrowded ?
Would I need a heater set @ 68 to avoid temperature fluctuation ?

I'm hearing now, with a 50 gallon, I can put in 4 or 5 veiltail goldfish. Personally, I think that is too many. Is 3 stretching it ?

I'm hearing now, with a 50 gallon, I can put in 4 or 5 veiltail goldfish. Personally, I think that is too many. Is 3 stretching it ?

No, IMO you cannot put 4-5 fancy gold fish in a 50, that is far overstocked to me. In a 50 I would consider 3 maxed out. If u want the BN pleco then 2 + the pleco is maxed out. Just my opinion, others may chime in. Its necessary to remember goldfish reach nearly the size of Oscars and other fish that are recommended 1 per 55 gallon based solely on nitrates, not aggression.

Difference

Try orandas, gotta be the best goldfish, I have 2 blue 1's
What is the difference between Orandas & fantails or veiltails ? I googled & found that fantails are Orandas. Most, however, come with the hoods .
How many could be kept in a 50 gallon ?

They're called 'wen' looks like their brains r on the outside ( kinda ) to me they look more stocky, kinda like a Staffordshire bull terrier but a fish
Go here. http://aqadvisor.com I run all my stocking ideas through there first, lets you know your stocking level based on the dimensions of your tank..
From what i can gather, fantails and veiltails look very similar except veiltails have longer fins, orandas have a more rounded snout and wens

That is the neatest calculator. :) I've never seen it before.
Thanks
It shows that my friend's tank will be @ 96 % capacity.
I guess, if he is diligent, he can go ahead.

The 'use juvenile sizes' option is handy, I'd say that 96% would be full grown and i doubt he will be introducing fully grown fancys, could maybe throw a few smaller fish in there with them while you're waiting for the goldys to grow

Yeah probably not but I've had my goldfish tank up an running for 7 months and without the little guys the tank would've probably gotten a little bit boring by nowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437336190.912409.jpg

Back
Top Bottom