55 gal planted tank....lots of new pictures 12/29/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's really nice. I run 4wpg+ myself and know how much work you must be putting in. It looks amazing -

P.S. I always plant my least demanding plants first and only run about 2wpg until they get settled in, Then I plant the rest and boost the light - Helps keep the Algae under control.

Yeah, that would have been a good idea.... but this was the first planted tank i've done so I was learning as I went....and kinda dove in a little over my head, but I'm doing pretty well now. It certainly is fun if you've got the time and understand the chemistry enough to get the ferts under control (I had a leg up on that).

It looks great! I'm setting up another 55g planted tank soon, so its good to see people who can scape their 55g's nicely. My 1st one is a big mess. I hope to make this one look nice. We'll see I guess.

I wont have as much light though (only about 2.4wpg). I love the rainbows!

2.4 wpg will be nice...enough to grow pretty much all but the most light demanding plants, but not so much that everything goes completely crazy in 5 days.....both of my bulbs run off the same ballast so I can't just turn one on. It would have been nice to start with 2 wpg and then up to 4 when I got the hang of it.

Post some pictures of your tanks! Would love to see them. I need to prune (AGAIN) tonight so I'll try and take some new pictures tonight.

More pictures...can never have too many pictures....my fishtank picture folder has almost 300 pictures....just since February!

Whole tank:
P1010109.JPG

Left side:
P1010069.JPG

Center:
P1010070.JPG

Right side:
P1010071.JPG

That is just beautiful-congratulations. If my tank were that gorgeous I'd have to quit my job and use that time for staring.

LOVELY---

If my tank were that gorgeous I'd have to quit my job and use that time for staring

ha ha....that made me laugh! I should take a pic of the room...the tank is right next to my teeny little 12" TV with no cable...I'd rather watch the fishtank!

No new whole tank shots, right now it is overgrown and in need of a trim (the proceeds of which are going to a fellow AA member, of course!) but here are some good fishy pics.

I am going to be doing a major rescaping soon so new pics soon, I promise!

Loach peeking out from the Ozelot sword:
P1020055.JPG

Rainbows:
P1010641.JPG

OK, as usual i posted a more complete description of the tank rescaping in the aquascaping forum but just to keep this thread up to date: here's the latest version....new driftwood, new rocks, more foreground area, and a major reduction in the amount (not types) of plants. The fish thanked me for clearing out the jungle! Water is still a little cloudy from the plant moving.

P1020560.JPG

Thought I'd update since it's been a while...moved the tank, rescaped a little, got rid of some plants that had outgrown the tank. Plus some fish pics too!

New baby SAEs:
P1030203.JPG

tiger barb:
P1030075.JPG

San Juan cory cat:
P1030101.JPG

rainbows:
P1030094.JPG

P1030116.JPG

P1030125.JPG

tank shot and some plants:
P1030020.JPG

P1030031.JPG

P1030220.JPG

P1030216.JPG

P1030213.JPG

P1030222.JPG

The rainbows, are, well, rainbow-colored, in every sense of the word. In person they are really blue, but with certain lighting and especially with the flash they have a yellowish iridescence. They are gorgeous, and smart, especially when it comes to begging for food, they know the noise of the drawer in the stand opening and come running.

Back
Top Bottom