55 Gallon Build! First Big Tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first actual (big) tank that I have ever had! I had a 10 gallon before this but realized that I can't enjoy the relaxing aspects of an aquarium at that size hahaha :D

It's so big!!! I don't even know how to decorate it, help me with some good ideas :)

P.S. right now I have used so much money that I am pretty much broke, do not have any money for more rocks or decorations at this moment :/

Better quality pictures soon!

Attachments

• DSC02443.jpg
    DSC02443.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC02444.jpg
    DSC02444.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC02445.jpg
    DSC02445.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC02451.jpg
    DSC02451.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 203
Neon Tetras
Tiger Barbs
Dwarf Corydoras
Rubber Lip Pleco? Cant remember the exact name

I know the tiger barbs might be an incompatibility at this point, but they are only babies and not aggressive. I am keeping a very close eye on them right now, their previous tank was too small too.

For some good decorations, it's pretty easy to sterilize rocks you find outside and make them safe to put in the tank. Just put some vinegar on them, and make sure they don't fizz, scrub them in very hot water, and boil them for a few minutes. Let them cool and they aughta be safe.

Bought some malaysian driftwood today!

Still trying to figure out how to fill up that empty space on the left side.

I am considering getting a huge piece of african wood (expensive I know) like the more flat shape so I can lean it up against the wall of the aquarium. Then I want to run a rope all the way from the wood to the rock on the other side of the tank, hopefully get some stuff to grow on the wood. :D

Attachments

• DSC02454.jpg
    DSC02454.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC02460.jpg
    DSC02460.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC02461.jpg
    DSC02461.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 155
Thanks! Any suggestions on how to work on that empty space? Or just let it grow mad with the java moss?

I tried to put the wood all the way on the left side, but then the middle looks too empty, and also the path looks good only when it's short, but if the path is too long then it doesn't look as good.

I really like this tank! Beautiful! What's your tank on....it looked like it was on the floor in one pic?

Haha it's on my floor, I didn't have a strong stand or anything to put it on, so I put it on the floor. It's actually concrete enforced, so nothing will break because I'm in the basement.

Haha it's on my floor, I didn't have a strong stand or anything to put it on, so I put it on the floor. It's actually concrete enforced, so nothing will break because I'm in the basement.
Try craigslist for a stand. I got a nice Oak Stand for free, they were moving and the tank had broken. I just had to pick it up and take all the other odds and ends they had too. Some were pretty decent decorations that I used until I could afford what I really wanted. They had a wimpy air pump and air stone and some other things I didn't have yet.
A lot of it was junk but it was worth it for the stand and the things that were usable.
But yours look beautiful so far.:)

Thanks for the advice :) I actually really like it on the floor because I like to kneel down and have my tank eye level when I rearrange stuff :)

I am planning on adding some texas holey rock!

Thanks for the advice :) I actually really like it on the floor because I like to kneel down and have my tank eye level when I rearrange stuff :)

I am planning on adding some texas holey rock!

I hadn't ever seen Texas Holy rock before, I just looked it up. It's incredibly :eek: beautiful. I think it's a perfect choice. There is so much you can do with rock like that. Can't wait to see your tank after you get the rock.

Yeah! I am also really excited but it's also incredibly expensive! :(

I picked up a nice looking rock at the store that was a little bigger than my hand and it was about 21 dollars, really heavy :O Might go back in a few weeks to see what they have haha...

Thanks! I am definitely going to keep the rainbow and the tigers. I am probably also going to keep the dwarf cory cats because apparently the rainbow doesn't seem to mind these little ones from invading its territory. Might have to add a few more barbs though :)

mjc11 said:

I've just finished cycling a tank the same size, and I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom

I've just finished cycling a tank the same size, and I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom

I have to use a short ladder to reach even the middle of one of my 55g tanks. It's a combination of a tall stand and a tall tank and a not so tall person, 5'4". The tank and stand together are 5'8". I haven't finished stocking it yet, I'll put up pictures when I finish.

here is what i would do, i would go out to a stream or park and just look for pices of rock or wood that i would find cool and them bring them home to work with. Also i would re scape it when you get all of the stuff together becuse then you will have a better idea of what you are working with.

Back
Top Bottom