55 gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martinp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok, I have a 55 gallon fish tank.I know it is overstock, but I plan on moving some fish. It has actinic lighting and blue gravel. The fish I have are are 11 tiger barbs, 4 angels, 3 plecos, 2 dinosaur bichirs, 1 featherfin catfish, 1 peacock eel, 1 red tailed shark, 1 ghost knife, 1 Raphael catfish, 1 yoyo lotch and a few others. I will post pics soon, tell me what you think

Whew that is wayyy over stocked haha but i undertand. What are you upgrading too? Your going to need at least a 125 for that knife

Yea I know but my wife really loves the ghost knife.

I'm not sure my wife already hates how much we have invested in the fish

Hiw big is it so far? Once he gets bigger you will have to upgrade, or give him away :(

You can contact your lfs and see if they will give you some credit or cash for a few of those fish. That should appease your wife a bit. I gather that you are not up-grading, just re-homing some fish?
The plecos, ghost knife, and dinosaur birchirs should all be re-homed.

Why they are the reason why I'm rehoming some of the other fish, I have a few pic of my tank in my gallery

Why they are the reason why I'm rehoming some of the other fish, I have a few pic of my tank in my gallery
Why? Because those species are too big for a 55 gallon tank. Common plecos get 1 to 2 feet long and just one should be in a 125 gallon tank. The smallest tank I have ever seen recommended for 1 is a 75 gallon, but I don't think even that is big enough personally. The knife needs a 125 gallon tank.

Well I now changed up my tank, I have 5 tiger barbs, 3 peacock related, 2 plecos, 2 dinosaur bichir, 2 ghost knife and a feather fin cat fish. It's a lot less crowded now.

Well I now changed up my tank, I have 5 tiger barbs, 3 peacock related, 2 plecos, 2 dinosaur bichir, 2 ghost knife and a feather fin cat fish. It's a lot less crowded now.
You got a second ghost knife? Are you planning to get a bigger tank in the future? Sorry, but your tank is not big enough for those species to grow up in.

omg at your stocklist :nono::nono::nono:

are you aware that all your fish are bottom dwellers? (eels, birchirs, ghost knife, plecos, feather catfish)
There isn't enough surface area to house 1 of those fish happily.

Yes I know they are but right now they all are very small and are getting along very well, I added lots of spots to hide from each other. By the time they get big enough to move I will have found a bigger tank, but till then they are happy where they are.

Yes I know they are but right now they all are very small and are getting along very well, I added lots of spots to hide from each other. By the time they get big enough to move I will have found a bigger tank, but till then they are happy where they are.
What size tank are you looking for?

I just downsized once again, now i have 3 peacock eels, 2 ghost knifes, 2 dinosour bichirs, 2 plecos, and a featherfin catfish. Yes i know they pretty much are all bottom dwellers but i have lots of hiding places, and my ghost knifes love to chase each other, everyone is very happy and pretty small for what they are, in the future I plan to convince my wife to let me get a 150gallon but it wont be anytime soon, i will trade the plecos in once they get to the 12" mark. (y)

martinp said:

you dont know how well the y get along. You can't watch them forever.

Hahah oh jeez... You think they get along untill they are randomly dieing and you have no idea whats happening... You better hope you can convince your wife

Back
Top Bottom