55 Gallon Fresh Water Community Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tsharkey said:
However you cannot argue with experts. The Smithsonian Freshwater Aquarium Fish Book clearly states that the common plecostomus (hypostomus multriadiatus) will NOT outgrow it's environment. However, if the pleco cannot reach it's full length and size it will potentially shorten the lifespan of the animal. This also applies to loaches, cories, catfish, etc.

How old is this book?! The problem with printed materials like books is they are out dated very quickly. It states right in this article by the "experts" that the fish will be stunted

"However, if the pleco cannot reach it's full length and size it will potentially shorten the lifespan of the animal"

That is the exact definition of a fish being stunted do to inadequate living space being provided.

Just thought I'd be another voice about the stunting. I've never done an autopsy on a fish that was stunted though. I question whether they are common pleco. Why don't you post pictures of the tank?

I'm all for rehoming a fish if it's not suitable for a tank, (trust me, I'm in the process of finding a new home for my 1 y/o 10" Common Pleco). However, what I don't understand, (and I'm not trying to be rude to anyone), is what sense would it make to argue w/ the OP or to suggest that the OP rehomes their Plecos at this point?

The age of the other Pleco wasn't mentioned, but I would assume it's probably a couple of years old. I would also assume that a 9 y/o and 2+ y/o Pleco would already have their growth stunted and moving them to a larger tank at this point wouldn't matter. The only way it would is if they were still young and actively growing. Then yes, they would definitely benefit from a larger tank so they can continue to grow correctly.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude to those that posted their concerns about the Plecos. I just think the only logical reason for the OP to move older Plecos out of their 55g is to reduce the bioload so they could have more room to add more, (smaller), fishes. This leads me to my opinion about the stock list...

The Cory does need some buddies, but w/ your current stock, that wouldn't be a good idea to add more to your tank. I agree w/ those that stated your stock is on the heavy side. I wouldn't add any fish unless you could reduce the bioload. Another option would be to get a bad case of MTS and buy a bigger tank and stock both tanks. ;)

I hope you can find a way to post some pics... a tank thread just isn't right w/o pics! :D

I made a mistake in my stock list. With the plecos I have one that's nine years old and about 7-8 in". The other common pleco is about a year old and about 2" long. The albino pleco I mentioned is a bushy Nose about 5 years old and 4".
Also I just lost 4 balloon mollies and 5 other mollies which includes wag mollies and lyre tails. They died of a disease (not sure what it's called) but it destroyed a large section of scales and went to the organs. I don't know what that's called but it killed all within three days.
I'll work on the pictures. I'm on my iPod now but maybe I can figure out the website on our actual computer. (maybe) lol

I'm so sorry for your loss, tsharkey. :( That is a lot of fishes to lose over such a short time.

I definitely feel your pain. I recently had my male Dalmation Molly pass away w/ no warning whatsoever and now I'm trying to save my female Gold Dust Molly. At first I thought she had Dropsy, but I'm beginning to think it may be Livebearer Disease. Up until I added plants to my tank, I was dosing a small amount of Aquarium Salt w/ every pwc to add beneficial Electrolytes to the water. But ever since I stopped adding salt, my Mollies have been going down hill. :(

Your 9 y/o Pleco is only 7-8" long? That's odd. Mine is still growing past the 10" mark and he's only 1 y/o. Did you have the Pleco in a smaller tank when he/she was younger? I won't comment on what you should do w/ the young Pleco, (as the suggestion has been posted on here enough lol), but if you do decide to keep him/her I hope you enjoy cleaning up poo! lol

My tank stays really clean. My secret is using a food by Wardly. It is kind of expensive but it reduces the waste of the fish. Also my filter is for and 80 gal. Tank and I also have air stones all along the back wall to help with the cleaning. I only have to clean my water once every two months.

Also the pleco used to be in my 25 gal. Tank but that was when be was 2-3".

I use Wardly Algae Wafers, but there's still a lot of his waste sitting on top of the gravel. I have 2 HOB filters and a bubble wand near his "home"... but it still doesn't help. lol I have no choice but to do a pwc every week and the tank is littered again 2 days later. I guess my guy just likes 'doing his deed' more than yours does. lol

I use Wardly Algae Wafers, but there's still a lot of his waste sitting on top of the gravel. I have 2 HOB filters and a bubble wand near his "home"... but it still doesn't help. lol I have no choice but to do a pwc every week and the tank is littered again 2 days later. I guess my guy just likes 'doing his deed' more than yours does. lol

My pleco holds it all in for the day after tank cleaning just to make me mad :banghead:

The exact food title is wardley tropical fish flake food less waste cleaner water. I don't use wafers for my plecos they get all the flake food that falls to the bottom. I'm sure that helps with cleanliness.

Just thought that I would put the info in that if you have the pics of you tank on the iPod already then all you have to do to post them is when you reply just hit the attachments button at the top left corner under the cancel button and you can post them that way.

And I believe that you should be doing weekly water changes but at bare minimum don't go over a month without one your fish will act so much better it's almost like when you take a shower you wouldn't go that long with out taking one.

I add water when it gets low and clean every month. My filter dose a pretty good job!

Thanks to one of the post, I finally figured out how to post pics. (thanks so much to that person!) Anyway, here it is. Sorry about the picture quality I'm not a photographer. Lol The large pleco is hard to photograph. He was only out for like ten seconds before going back to the castle.

Attachments

• image-4160248709.jpg
    image-4160248709.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2067387916.jpg
    image-2067387916.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1103436958.jpg
    image-1103436958.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2055352866.jpg
    image-2055352866.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image-207980863.jpg
    image-207980863.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 102
  • image-156990752.jpg
    image-156990752.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2011333851.jpg
    image-2011333851.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image-386595385.jpg
    image-386595385.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image-273961327.jpg
    image-273961327.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2543672058.jpg
    image-2543672058.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-945283267.jpg
    image-945283267.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3212297401.jpg
    image-3212297401.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2087531806.jpg
    image-2087531806.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1838124581.jpg
    image-1838124581.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1554651530.jpg
    image-1554651530.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-292753344.jpg
    image-292753344.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-4005624658.jpg
    image-4005624658.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3298609068.jpg
    image-3298609068.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 73
i would disagree, but it seems that you don't want to change your ways, so I won't try and force you to.

Am I the only one who gets a bit bewildered everytime someone admits to fish deaths or poor water parameters but refuses to believe their pwc habits might be to blame?

Coleallensmom said:
Am I the only one who gets a bit bewildered everytime someone admits to fish deaths or poor water parameters but refuses to believe their pwc habits might be to blame?

No, but to each their own. I recommend you change it at least once a month, mollies produce a lot of waste IMO.

Oops! Did I say two months. I'm sorry I do change every month. I don't know what was going through my head?

Yah I think I'll edit some of those post about water changing.

Yes it is pretty hard to see them. They Move around so much it's hard to get a good picture of any of them. If only they would hold still or pose maybe. Lol

Back
Top Bottom