55 Gallon Freshwater Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CadillacSlim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just setup this new Planted tank last week. Everything in it is natural and there are no fake decorations.

It's just beginning it's cycle and I'm going to update pictures as I add more plants and fish. Still getting my PH and temp stabilized as well. Shooting to eventually add Discus.

I transferred some live Bio from another tank in to one of the filter trays and added some rocks that were coated in a light algae to the tank. The Neons/Tetras have also been added to assist with the cycle.

Currently running:

Fluval FX5
24W UV Sterilizer
200W Fluval Heater
260W Light Kit

Current Inhabitants:
3 Cardinal Tetras
3 Neons
2 Algae Shrimp
1 Amazon Shrimp

Attachments

• 0824111344a.jpg
    0824111344a.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 401
  • 0823110721b.jpg
    0823110721b.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 392
Nice looking tank! I really like the rock formations you built in there.
What kind of substrate are you using? It's got a nice color, especially if you're going to be adding discus

Nice looking tank! I really like the rock formations you built in there.
What kind of substrate are you using? It's got a nice color, especially if you're going to be adding discus

Hey, thanks! I used Seachem Flourite in there, I believe it was about 3 bags and about 1/2 bag of larger pebble rock underneath it. I'm hoping it's sufficient with some liquid fert to keep the plants happy. I'm trying to avoid a C02 only due to aesthetic reasons! Without a sump, it's just adding more and more clutter.

Update.,.

Hey, hope everyone had a good weekend! Just wanted to post an updated picture of my planted tank. It's coming along nicely, everything is flourishing pretty well! I've added a few new critters to the tank now that it has cycled.

Current Inhabitants:

Rubbernose Pleco
Clown Pleco
3 Ghost Shrimp
1 Bamboo Shrimp
1 Viper Shrimp
2 Algae Shrimp
3 Cardinals
3 Neons
3 Kuli Loaches
2 Siamese Sharks
4 Otto Catfish

I've recently stabilized my PH at 6.9 and temp at 81. In a few weeks once everything is exactly perfect I will finally be adding some Discus as well as 4 freshwater clams!

Attachments

• 0910112044.jpg
    0910112044.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 315
Some plants filling in a lot more then others, so had to re-landscape a bit. I have tried my luck with a bit of the Flourish & C02 booster (API).. anyone else recommend anything for the plants? The substrate apparently is loaded with iron.

Attachments

• fishtank.jpg
    fishtank.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 313
I'm trying to avoid a C02 only due to aesthetic reasons! Without a sump, it's just adding more and more clutter.

2 words... inline reactor.

I get not wanting to go through injecting if you don't have to... heck I added it and finally worked myself out of it. But... if you do go with it, an inline reactor will keep everything under the tank so you don't have more clutter inside the tank.

I think the tank looks great. My only criticism would be the background. I think a solid black background would really make a big difference.

2 words... inline reactor.

I get not wanting to go through injecting if you don't have to... heck I added it and finally worked myself out of it. But... if you do go with it, an inline reactor will keep everything under the tank so you don't have more clutter inside the tank.

I think the tank looks great. My only criticism would be the background. I think a solid black background would really make a big difference.

You lost me on the inline reactor? I read up a bit via Google and I'm a bit lost on what it's function is?

I always went with the classic blue or black background, but wanted to mix it up a bit and go with the cheezy plantscaped one this time. :D

Wow.. proof that great lighting & Flourish works like a champ! No C02 added to this tank and the plants are happy! Going to have to trim the Wisteria pretty soon if it keeps growing like it is.

Just added a Bumblebee Pleco and a couple Red Crystal Shrimp

Attachments

• newtank.jpg
    newtank.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 260
You lost me on the inline reactor? I read up a bit via Google and I'm a bit lost on what it's function is?

I always went with the classic blue or black background, but wanted to mix it up a bit and go with the cheezy plantscaped one this time. :D

Using a canister filet, you cut a section of the return out and put in a section of pvc that has media in it. at the bottom of this pipe you have a tap and the CO2 will enter into that. This will defuse the CO2 into the water way way better than most methods.

Nice tank. I like the green standing out with the black substrate.

What kind of background did you use? It looks better than a black poster board.

Im into cheesy decor :p

Nice tank. I like the green standing out with the black substrate.

What kind of background did you use? It looks better than a black poster board.

Im into cheesy decor :p

Thanks man. It's just a background I found at a LFS. I usually went with just the plain black or blue, but this time I wanted a little cheese to the tank.

I am pretty happy with it and my fish like it too.

Update

Update..

Tank is doing very well and had to do a bit of restructuring a bit ago and things couldn't be better.

Finally have my PH at exactly 7.0 and temp at a steady 82. Going to finally add the Discus!

Attachments

• studtank.jpg
    studtank.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom