55 Gallon freshwater planted tank and smooth jazz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pecktec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello it’s your friendly neighborhood Pecktec. I have had this 55 gallon tank going for about 4 years now. I started as many here have with all fake plants and some drift wood. The driftwood is huge and was a great asset in getting the tank cycled quickly. Also I’m a new YouTuber with the same user name as the one I use here. As such I want to shamelessly promote one of my videos of this tank and its many inhabitants for your enjoyment. I’m a newbie videographer and would love some feedback. I shot the whole thing on my Iphone and edited on the phone as well. I will be doing more and more videos using an much better camera soon but this turned out to be decent quality for a cell phone shoot. The one thing I really regret is not having a really wide shot of the tank so you can see it all at once. Ow, well so take three minutes and enjoy some smooth jazz as the antics unfold.
YouTube - My 55 Gallon Tank : Feb 2011

Gorgeous. Are those otos I see? They're cute! Nice choice of fishes!

Thanks everyone. Yes those are Ottos I love those little guys. I have been using this IPhone app called Splice which recently added support for HD. You can buy unlicensed music to add and the one I picked seemed like the best match.

Sent from Sean's iPad using Aquarium

No he is a survivor from a home made CO2 incident. I didn't get the formula correct and lost three of them. This guy lived but turned white. That was two years ago and he seems normal except for the color.

That tank is awesome. I love how the ram looks like he's talking. I also loved the puffer.

Gorgeous tank! Your fish look amazing. What lighting system are you running? Also I assume your doing co2. This is such an awesome tank, I'm planning on converting my 55 to a planted tank; I hope it turns out as well as yours.

Nope no CO2 since the great CO2 calamity a while back. I have 60watts of compact florescent light. I do add macro and micro fertilizer. Thanks so much for the kind words!

Trout11B said:
Do you experience any algae issues or anything?

Sure, every planted tank has an issue at some point. The beard algae was the worst. I added two flying foxes and they ate most of it away. I also have a bristle nosed catfish that cleans up the glass.

Pecktec said:
Sure, every planted tank has an issue at some point. The beard algae was the worst. I added two flying foxes and they ate most of it away. I also have a bristle nosed catfish that cleans up the glass.

I realize that all tanks usually have algae, I meant major super growth algae blooms.

I've never had "green water" or anything more than a lot of black beard algae. My SAEs ate most of it. I break a big rule with this talk though it gets a lot of sunlight at the end of day. But I really think normal weekly water changes, a large amount of Bio filtration, and careful food distribution make up for a heathy balanced tank.

Back
Top Bottom