55 gallon in wall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlebeau

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This started as a small project. Toss a tank on the ledge between the library and the entryway. Well, the 55g tank didn't quite fit. So I had to build a "stand" for it.

I am hoping to have a nice cichlid tank in the near future. I've not had cichlids before so I am all ears.

[center:3201ceaa4e]
P4280016.jpg
[/center:3201ceaa4e]

Add a few more 2x4's and some drywall. And hello to all of my fellow x-file fans out there!

P5010023.jpg

After all of the hard work.

P5030002.jpg

P5130002.jpg

Believe it or not, the front was the easy part.

I am now a self taught cabinet maker. And it shows!!. Easy access to the top. Still needs some trim, stain, a few more doors and I'll be done with the "stand". I have a filstar x2 canister filter in the bottom cabinet. The filtration plumbing is ran through the wall. Nothing hanging off of the tank. I'll add more pics one I get the whole thing done.

P5130003.jpg

This is my buddy Big P (11"). I have had him for about 4 yrs. My 30g tank sprung a leak a few days after I put water in the new tank. I had to move him and a few small fish into the new tank. I saved as much water as I could, and moved the most of the gravel. It has been over a week. He is eating algae disks and has his color back. I think he will be ok.

P5130006.jpg

update 1-31-06

I have just a bit of stain and paint and I'm done.

P5200023.jpg

I have also changed the gravel to sand and added some decor.

P5200010.jpg

Let me know what you think. And feel free to leave a few tips on cichlids.

:D I'm envious of your skills. I think it looks great. Cichlids, eh? Any species in mind?

I would like a colorful mix of fish that will not rip each other apart and traumatize any of my 4 daughters. I would like them to be compatible with the pleco. My wife is sternly against feeding anything live to them. I would rather have more smaller than a few large fish.

We are also "debating" gravel vs sand. She likes the gravel because it fits into the decor of the house. I like the idea of sand for ease of cleaning but color choices seem to be either black or white. Not sure what color pool sand it but I am guessing it's very light.

I've been reading several posts and websites but it's information overload.

You have done a great job! Looks awsome. You can't be married. Give your wife a kiss for me. My wife would kill me if I tried to do what you did! She won't even let me have a tank in the bedroom! Imagine!

i was just reading about the inline heaters yesterday.. didn't even know they exsisted. I'll probably get one before I "offically" stock the tank.

thanks for the link

amazing! it looks great! very jealous! please keep us updated. :)

that is just beautiful!!! I wish my hubby would build that for me, lol. He'd be the one to come up with an idea like that , then leave me hangin.

i will pay you to come and do that in my house but with a 300 gallon tank. beautiful work

Back
Top Bottom