55 gallon planted retrospective.....LOTS of photos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had my 55g planted set up for 2.5 years now. The tank has gone through a lot of changes and I thought it would be interesting to post pics of it over time.

Tank specs: standard 55g. Eco-complete substrate (80lbs). 2x1 liter DIY CO2. Lighting initially 2x96 watts PC (~4 wpg), switched to 50:50 bulbs about a year ago (~2wpg). Filter initially AquaClear 70, now Rena Filstar XP3.
The beginning:
P1000194.JPG

Starting to get the hang of things. Oddly this is one of my favorite looks for the tank, that I never replicated.
P1000273_2.JPG

P1000487.JPG

P1000561.JPG

P1000598.JPG

P1000773.JPG

This is what happens when you leave a tank with 4 wpg for a week.....
P1000893.JPG

P1000918.JPG

Thanks for sharing. I think my favorite scape is actually the 7th photo in post #3. It really is quite intersting how the scapes evolve over time.

Awesome tank. I'm still getting the hang of mine. So far I really like my tank set up! But someday I'll have something likes yours. Give me time! I'm still reluctant to keep real plants. =/

Wow your plants are AWESOME! My plants don't grow that well, but I'm still a noob and getting the hang of it. I just got some plant nutrients to try .... hope they help my plants to grow as well as yours!!
I must say, the my African tank is much easier lol, no plants.

Thanks for sharing!

Hey what light system are you using and what are your current WPG? I have a 55 gallon setup as well and I'm looking to upgrade to a 4 bulb system that puts out 4.78 WPG but I'm gonna cut that in half (2.39 WPG) by using 2 actinic bulbs so I can simulate dawn and dusk. I've always hated how the lights just come on and off. If I was a fish I think that would piss me off....kind of like turning on the bathroom light during one of those middle of the night bathroom trips.

I have 2x96 watts PC on the tank. At first I had 6500K and 10000K bulbs, now I have 50:50s, which cuts the useable light down by almost 1/2. So at first I had almost 4 wpg and now I'm around 2.

Here's a current pic @ 2 wpg:
P1090754.JPG

I have 2x96 watts PC on the tank. At first I had 6500K and 10000K bulbs, now I have 50:50s, which cuts the useable light down by almost 1/2. So at first I had almost 4 wpg and now I'm around 2.

Here's a current pic @ 2 wpg:
P1090754.JPG

WOW your rainbows got big. Tank looks great and you seem to be growing plants just fine with 2 WPG. Do you have a link to the DIY light system you made. I searched all 55 pages in the DIY forum and I didn't see anything.

yeah I would like the DIY Link as well. Your tank is an inspiration for me!

Back
Top Bottom