55-Gallon Process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone, in this thread I will be posting pictures of my setup process and price-guide (since I was so curious on general prices for the basic). I do have 1 favor to ask of everyone, and that is to not tell me I paid too much for something. I know most (if not all) of the items I purchased I could have gotten a heck of a lot cheaper. The fact is, I didn't feel like driving all over the Southeast or waiting months for a tank to show up in the local classifieds. Hope you guys enjoy!

I picked up this 55-Gallon AGA Corner Overflow with Megaflow kit, hoods, and lights, and the black pine stand for $400 from my LFS

picture.php

Pro Clear Aquatic Systems wet/dry filter (125-Gallon rated) and Rio+ 2100 sump for $200

picture.php

This is the eggcrate ($16) cut with pliers in bottom of the tank

picture.php

Drainpipe and return pipe setup (Top View)

picture.php

2 50lbs bags of pea pebbles from Home Depot for $8. I was so excited that these worked because 60lbs of river pebbles from PetSmart was $45. Once washed, they left a deep 3" floor.

picture.php

After about 10 trips from the bathtub I finally filled the tank.

picture.php

Wet/dry filter working perfectly (after a small leak at the return pipe... make sure you use that wrench and get the screws tight!)

picture.php

After about 24hrs the "tiny bubbles" disappeared and the tank cleared

picture.php

So while I waited for my accessories from Drs. Foster and Smith I went in search of rocks to add to my tank. I really wanted to use slate, but I didn't realize how thin they sell it; so I just picked out a lot of the larger chips. When I got back, I thoroughly washed the slate with warm water and started setting them up. Here is the creation I finally decided on:

picture.php

Under the sun:

picture.php

I put in my order on Sunday night (the night before MLK day) from DrsFosterSmith.com and didn't expect to get it until the next week since I chose the cheap shipping. It all came in early Friday morning! :eek:

Jager 200w heater = $22
Mag-Float = $11
Freshwater Master Test Kit = $16
Large fish-bag bin = $4
Single Digital power center = $25
Net = $1
Coralife Digital Thermometer = $7 [no pictured]

picture.php

Here is the heater in the corner (I was so happy it fit perfectly! Placing it here really helped clean up my tank)

picture.php

Side view of overflow, heater, thermometer, and Mag-Float (least visible side of the tank)

picture.php

And here is how I am looking at the tank right now

picture.php

[The dual nozzle looks unsightly, I know, but I have it pointed down just for increased circulation. When it is up and level, you can hardly see it.]

I really like your slate layout. What are your plans for the tank?

Well, I would love to find a piece of driftwood that is really branch on the bottom and a long arm to extend over the slate. I was torn between a lot of slate or driftwood, so I decided to do both. Until then, I want to get an amazon sword in the left corner to completely hide the black corner. Then, on the right side of the rock formation I was going to get a few (maybe 5, corkscrew vals until I get the driftwood). As for fish, I was going to get tetras, danios, guppies, I don't know for sure yet, but I do know I want a lot of small schooling fish. I am definately taking my time

Oh, and Zagz... I have a siphon for the water changes, and I don't mind using the bucket. I just really did not want to spend the $40 for it.

I think you got a good deal! I am pretty impatient myself and didn't want to wait for my tank either! The tank looks really good. I like the slate idea!

What you have hiding your drain to your sump...is that custom? I'd love to just hide my intake tube on my cannister, even if it meant lose some more space. I'd just drill out the whole thing rather than just the top.

Well it was already attached to the tank when I bought it. The LFS told me that these are new additions to help hide the unsightly drainpipe and return pump. If you look at the side-view picture, you notice the water level in the corner is lower than the tank. The black wall is doubled so the water drains from the top and bottom vents, then spills over into the corner. I will try to add some close up pictures to show you what I am talking about if you'd like.

I'd definitely like to see more of that corner piece. I'm curious now if I can put something like that in my tank.

I'd definitely like to see more of that corner piece. I'm curious now if I can put something like that in my tank.

Of Course!

Here you can see the plastic double-wall divider. They are spaced about 1/2" apart.

picture.php

Here is a back view showing the water spilling over the back wall.

picture.php

This picture shows the water level difference with a full tank and the drain pipe all the way down. It is adjustable, so if I raised the drainpipe, the corner level would be the same as the tank (but this just allows you to push the pipe down so a cover will fit evenly over the corner [as shown in the 2nd picture]).

picture.php

picture.php

Close-up view of the top vent (also showing water-level difference).

picture.php

Here's a view of the bottom vent for added floor circulation (I think).

picture.php

And the corner divider as a whole.

picture.php

As for the construction of this piece, it does not look too intricate. It does look nice, but I doubt it would be a problem for anyone with the proper tools and knowledge of silicone use in the tank. If you have any other questions or want any more pictures, please don't hesitate to ask, everyone has helped me so much so far and I would love to return the favor.

Last edited:
What you have hiding your drain to your sump...is that custom? I'd love to just hide my intake tube on my cannister, even if it meant lose some more space. I'd just drill out the whole thing rather than just the top.

As for the drilling of the holes on the bottom of the tank (I assume that is what you were talking about), the guy at my LFS told me that you can do it to any tank and it will cost about $20 a hole at a glass store. The only problem is that they do not guarantee that the tank will not crack. Even though he has not heard of it happening, the risk is still there, one I didn't want to take.

Yeah, I didn't want to drill it. I just wanted to possibly hide some items behind it. I think I'd take a piece of PVC pipe, cut it into 1/4 and paint it. Then just jam it into my substrate. It'd hide my cannister filter intake tube and my heater.

Yes I do, I have been really busy lately and have not been able to take/upload any pictures. I will try to do that later on today.

Finally my crazy/busy schedule has subsided! I have been able to take, upload, and post new pictures of my tank. Since the last update, I have added a black background, fish (mollies, danios, guppies, and tetras), and fake plants. I wanted to go with real plants, but I had to put fake ones in for the meantime, until I get more money.

I am almost 100% sure that 2 guppies and a molly is pregnant, that is why I added all the floating plants. I also bought a 10-gallon breeder/quarantine tank--but since I will be going away for a week, I figured I'd just wait until I come back to transfer them since I only have 1 automatic feeder.

Anyway, to the new pictures...

picture.php

Cave, plant, and fish

picture.php

Floating plants (right side).

picture.php

Complete setup.

picture.php

Right-side angle shot (one of my favorites)

picture.php

Sorry about all the crappy pictures. I wish they were more clear (I should invest in a tri-pod). I will have to wait until my sister, who is a photographer with a much better camera, can come and take a few good pics. Hope you guys like!

uscamaro said:

You paid too much for the ON whey. haha I'm JK. Everything's looking nice. Even though I have overflow boxes I'm not using I really want a tank with an overflow so I don't have a flood risk.

Haha, you actually got me on that first sentence of yours. Anyway, when I was buying the wet/dry system, he gave me one that was 75-gallon-rated that had just come in without a pricetag. He then said he wasn't sure on the price and went to go check it out. He told me $177, which I had seen on the 125-gallon-rated prior, so then I asked him about it. I could tell easily he was trying to get a few extra $ out of me but came back with "well [the 75-gallon-rated] is the new model, that is why the [125] is cheaper... would you rather go with the 125?" And of course I went for it!

That would be a nice idea. As soon as I can pay off some other bills, I'll invest in decent lighting and a few live plants.

Back
Top Bottom