55 Gallon with 2 Western Painted Turtle's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Stats include
Marineland Magnum 350 Canister Filter.
Zoo Med Medium Sized Floating Rock.
Zoo Med Slider Turtle Light with 2 Spot lights and an 18 inch UVB bulb. This tank has been truely Entertaining to say the least the turtles are very lively.

Attachments

• SDC10560.jpg
    SDC10560.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 646
Hi Stat...I think I see the turtles in the upper left side of tank. I bet it is entertaining....hey, where in NC are you located? I am near Winston Salem and Lexington. Love to find other aquarium people in my area!

Ya sorry about that they are kinda hard to see here is a picture of them hot off the presses. Ya I live in lexington.
Do you do Salt. It would be nice to to know someone close by who did saltwater.

Attachments

• SDC10615.jpg
    SDC10615.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 264
How cute they are....no I don't do salt. My twin brother and I lived at the coast growing up and had a 10g saltwater tank. Of course we knew nothing of how to really keep a tank at age 14, but it was fun just the same. We would catch stuff out of the ocean and put it in there and watch em. I probably will not attempt a saltwater tank, as I don't have an unlimited source of income...lol....to me it would be too hard to lose some of that expensive livestock. Who knows though, maybe someday in the future I will turn my 55g into a sw tank, but no time soon. :) I am in Welcome, which is right outside Lexington. I am glad to know there are other aquarists in the local area!!

I also have a 29g tank with two dwarf puffers, and a 10g grow out tank with about 16 baby angels. Amongst other smaller tanks in kid's rooms.

Well I have the 10 gallon tank with gold fish and 20 gallon tank with tropical. I am going to combine those 2 into a 55 gallon tired of cleaning both of those small tanks. Going to get a canister for them it Really cuts down on the maintance.
Then I have the 55 gallon Turtle tank and I just started my 90 gallon salt. So I am really having fun. Salt can be expensive but I think also the most fun. I have about $400 in my setup that I bought from craigslist. Setup is time consuming though and you gotta be patient.

Very cool....have you been to Maw and Paw's in Winston? They have some nice livestock and they are getting ready to start a huge saltwater tank in there...I think it is a 190-225g tank, can't remember right off hand. Should be setting it up soon, though.

I have been there a couple of times. Will be nice maybe when I get ready to stock my tank I can get my fish from there. I like to support my local stores. I still gotta buy my live rock though. Right now I just got a tank full of water=). Waiting on next payday hehe.

LOL. Very good. Good luck with it! I also like to support my local stores and the owners there are super nice!

so in your 55 gallon aquarium you have 2 turtles. will they out grow that tank

i have had tropical fish all of my life, and i wanted to start a turtle tank in my 55 gallon aquarium, i was wondering how to do this and what turtles to put in it and how many

Yes Since christmas of last year they have doubled in size. I am going to look into a corner 75 or 90 if i can find one it will add depth and allow for thier continueing growth. I am not sure what type of turtles you would want. I know red ear sliders get as big as a dinner plate {my brother has one and its almost twice the size of my painted turtles) I am hopeing my eastern painteds do not get that big. I would get 1 no more than 2 and realize that they will get big fairly quickly. I have the largest floating turtle dock that I can find and it barley holds the 2 of them.

55 gallon

ok thanks you, when i beside what turtles i want how do i convert the tank to a turtle tank

You will need a floating rock... OR aquascape it so the turtles can get out and bask. You will need both UVA and UVB(they synthesis calcium) with this light + a basking lamp for when they get out of the water. I recommend this hood and it will fit on one side of the tank and gives you what you need. Zoo Med Slider Hoods - Heating & Lighting - Reptile - PetSmart.

If you enjoy sparkling clear water like I do. You will need the biggest canister filter that you can afford...I MEAN BIG I have a Marineland Magnum 350. I wish I had the money to put a Fluval X9000million or what ever the big one that looks like a Shop vac is.

I have heard that you should put sand on the bottom because they like to eat the standard aquarium rock. Or bigger rocks they cannot eat. I don't know I have always used regular rock buy my turtles may be exceptions to the rule. (I found this out after the turtles were well established in the present tank)

Fish...If you like the fish you have don't put it in with the turtle IT will eat it. and to be honest with you its a very gruesome sight. Because they literally take chunks out of their prey.

ok

how much do you think it will cost to convert the tank, i have the canopy, but i need the right tubes, and the heat lamp, and dock, and the filters i have i just have to lower them down in the tank

check craigslist in your area... ive seen more red eared sliders free on craigslist than anything else... i didnt even know what they were until i saw a picture of one lol.. people get in over their head and dont realize they need so much filtration then give up and give them away... at least thats how it goes around here

Back
Top Bottom