55 rescape.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just did a lil redecorating in my tank with some new driftwood. hope you like

ForumRunner_20120428_104913.jpg

ForumRunner_20120428_104813.jpg

I have to take out the mopani...i was boiling it and its leeching sap..

okay so I got a piece of malaysain wood from petland and it was being used in there tank so ask if they sell it to me and i got it! and I also got another one but its not used. Iwill defnatly boil the used one for sure cause I dont wanna introduce any disease in my tank. I was gonna use the dishwasher...but my mom had to go and put jet dry in it..

whoaa!!!! two plecos came out off the wood!!! went I stuck the wood into be boiled one came out then I took it out and another flopped on the table!! the other died...:( im not sure about the other. I put the survior in my 55g .. I cant tell what kind he is.

ForumRunner_20120430_185441.jpg

ForumRunner_20120430_185500.jpg

DragonFish71 said:
Actually it's leaching tannins which is perfectly normal for mopani. It's a very dense wood and one of the best for aquariums. Because it's so dense, it takes longer for it to break down in the water.

well I already took it back. it was super sticky so im pretty sure it was sap

Did I read this right? You bought a piece of wood from inside a Petland tank, nobody there looked to see if any fish were hiding in it, you brought it home and didnt look inside of it yourself, you dropped it into boiling water with 2 fish in it killing one of them? I'm not on this planet to judge anyone and stranger things can and do happen.... But that's messed up.

SiameseCat said:
Did I read this right? You bought a piece of wood from inside a Petland tank, nobody there looked to see if any fish were hiding in it, you brought it home and didnt look inside of it yourself, you dropped it into boiling water with 2 fish in it killing one of them? I'm not on this planet to judge anyone and stranger things can and do happen.... But that's messed up.

no! trust me. I did say I LOOKED it over when I got. Petland looked it over swished it inside their tank to make sure no one was on it. im not messed up..okay?..the thing is with those catfish they will hold on even when you take the wood their on out of the water. they will stay on. I know this because the morning after I was makin sure he was alive picked up the wood nugged him a lil he wiggled a lil but would not budge at all. they are dark enough to blend in and I think the were buried in I could see em even though myself and the empoly of petland LOOKED AND CHECKED.

okay I guess it was in a another thread that I said I looked it over. my bad. lol

It sounds like an honest mistake... those things can hide up in there pretty good. I don't think I've ever inspected a piece of driftwood for fish... unless I was missing one myself. Let's not go flaming people.

mfdrookie516 said:
It sounds like an honest mistake... those things can hide up in there pretty good. I don't think I've ever inspected a piece of driftwood for fish... unless I was missing one myself. Let's not go flaming people.

+1 how is this anyones fault?

I cant id the plec myself, but it looks very cool!

I wasn't flaming or pointing fingers or saying YOU are messed up. It was definately an honest mistake, I wouldn't even call it a mistake, and especially with an all black flexible fish hiding like that. I was saying the messed up part was the fish got boiled... poor fishy. That'll teach his friends not to hitch rides.

mfdrookie516 said:

it really was. they really hide well. Ive been having a hard time finding him but when I do. its in a hard to find spot. I dont like flamming..ive left several fourms because of it lol

Back
Top Bottom