55g remake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently re-homed my 7" Oscar. I didn't have the space to upgrade my 55g to a 75g for him. I'm a firm believer that full grown Oscar's need 75 at least. I kept my Grey Bichir in my tank.

I got two beautiful JD's. One female Jack Dempsey and one male Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. The EBJD is only about 3-4 inches, he lived in a big aggressive community tank with full grown blood parrots, plecos, etc. The JD is 6-7" and lived with Discus before, so she is really calm.

So far so good, introduced yesterday and everyone is getting along great. I made a new DIY rock ledge for them out of slate tiles + aquarium safe silicone. My filtration is AQ110 + API Nexx Canister.

Let me know what you think.

It's good to see one in a nice home. The last JD I saw in person was at a friend of a friends house. He had one in a 20 gallon hiding in a tiny cave. I was looking in to try and see what it was...and the guy threw in some dog food nuggets so he'd come out and eat. Needless to say I had a few choice words for him.

Ouch... poor fish. This home is much more suited for JD's than it is for Oscars. So I'm happy with my choice! I didn't WANT to rid of my oscar at all.

By the way.. they are both EBJD's. I misunderstood her at the store, and it seems to definitely be a male/female pair. I just have to watch her closely if she starts being mean to the male because he is smaller.

Nice set-up; how about a close-up of the slate cave? The color on those JDs is pretty cool as well.

Thanks Wy.

I put a big piece of slate in front of it(like the pic shows) so he can get behind it and not be seen when he's under the slate ledge I made. This is the best I can get of it.

they are stunning fish, especially the ebjd! however... steez that oscar was special :( im not sure why, but even I am going to miss it.
its an awesome tank.... yet........ somethings missing............

i love the wood in there though! x

Thanks!

@ MBF: I don't believe that adult Oscars can live in a 55g. They outgrow the width of the tank, it's cruel. I don't have the room on my ledge for 75 or 90g. This decision was made for the Oscar, not for me :)

Great. My two EBJD's don't have any aggression at all to each other or the eel. We'll see how it goes, but for now it's fine. They both are getting to know me, starting to come to the glass where I'm at if I'm close to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom