55gal Freshwater Tank (Photo Journal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, coming along well....I got a top for the stand today so i'm going to cut it and coat it tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20130212_002511.jpg

ForumRunner_20130212_002523.jpg

ForumRunner_20130212_002532.jpg

ForumRunner_20130212_002541.jpg

Now that I have the stand complete, (except for doors) I am in the final stretch. :)
ForumRunner_20130217_111057.jpg

Yeah looks nice mine is also coming along.

Attachments

• image-3559475401.jpg
    image-3559475401.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 125
Thank you am still cycling but I did a fish in cycle with 5 teteras in a 55. I think 4 more weeks will do it I have been cycling for about 2 months.

It is very exciting. Actually cycling is not that exciting. There is now only 8 fish. Ugh I want more!!! But the fish's lives come first.

And that's always the way to think about it....I actually had a problem worth my filter when I started it, and now my tank looks disgusting and I set up a pump just to try and clean it up....the water is like yellow(i'm not sure its its tannins) and there's an ugly station that won't come off of the outside of the tank...

ForumRunner_20130217_213540.jpg

I hate when things don't work I'm sure you will fix it.

I'm no expert, but I'd say you're right about the discoloration being tannins. I like the placement of the twigs, too. Not too sure about that clay pot, but... ;)

I do have a question about your stand -- I'm guessing you used some 1x6 or 1x8 panels on the outside of the frame itself, and then used molding on the corners? I like how you did it, so I want to replicate it for my own selfish purposes. :D I had planned on doing something similar with the stand I built for my 46, but it has never made it past the frame + top since I had zero patience about getting the tank up.

Thanks guys, and im kinda enjoying the doscoloration, looks a Lil more natural....may add more lights.

The stand has half inch aspen sheets on the sides and front of the stand, and a 3/4 inch aspen top. I am going to add doors soon. Possibly a floor and clear plastic sheets like windows. Idk....getting a bit creative. And I used corner molding and believe it or not, but the cheapest molding Lowes has for the top and the bottom. My frames all 2x4, and its reinforced with 2x4s that essentially make them 4x4s or 4x6s but yeah. I hope that helps?

Btw, the clay pot is for breeding....I was going to put the rest in but the rest of my wood, pots, and plants are breaking stressful areas in the 38 until I can move them over.

The stand has half inch aspen sheets on the sides and front of the stand, and a 3/4 inch aspen top. I am going to add doors soon. Possibly a floor and clear plastic sheets like windows. Idk....getting a bit creative. And I used corner molding and believe it or not, but the cheapest molding Lowes has for the top and the bottom. My frames all 2x4, and its reinforced with 2x4s that essentially make them 4x4s or 4x6s but yeah. I hope that helps?

It does. I figured out how you did the construction from your photos, but wasn't sure what kind of planking you were using.

I used 3/4" furniture grade plywood for my top and then put a bevel on the top edges with the router. I was going to stain it, but, you know, patience. It actually doesn't look that bad as is. My gravel is natural tans and browns and the fish are orange and black, so it kind of meshes in.

Thanks!

That sounds cool, and that's what my top is, but I used aspen as the wood and I used polyurethane to seel out

The stand? Yes. There is the process of me building it in the earlier pages.

Back
Top Bottom