Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm too impatient to wait on my plant order!

Stopped at LFS yesterday and picked up a few plants for this tank. Added 3 crinums in the back left corner, behind the wood. Well, kind of 4, because one is two plants on the same bulb. And I picked up an Amazon sword "compacta", which I thought would stay small, but more time perusing forums implies that, in time, it will get just as big as the regular kind, it just takes longer to get there... so I went ahead and planted it in the the middle of my wood pile. It's not visible from normal viewing angles right now, but hopefully, in time, it will fill in that open space.

I inserted a fresh round of fertilizer tabs, especially around the crypts that are yellowing, around the vals, and under the new plants.

I found a few baby vals coming up in the middle of the crypts, so I uprooted them and moved them to better locations.

I freaking love my multi tool for inserting fertilizer pellets and moving small plants around - I can actually see what I'm doing.

Got a shipping notice for the plants today. Looking forward to that!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

75 Low Tech

This will look great when everything grows in! Patience is key of course. I had a Crinum once in my 30 gallon, but it got too big. It's a great plant though.

Get some activated carbon to get rid of the tannins if that is your goal. I had the same problem, probably worse than what I can see from the pictures, and it cleared my tank is one day. I used this product: http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/...5&pcatid=28155

Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishenthusiast View Post
This will look great when everything grows in! Patience is key of course. I had a Crinum once in my 30 gallon, but it got too big. It's a great plant though.

Get some activated carbon to get rid of the tannins if that is your goal. I had the same problem, probably worse than what I can see from the pictures, and it cleared my tank is one day. I used this product: Aquarium Filter Media & Phosphate Remover | Blue Life Clear FX Pro
Thanks!

Not too worried about the tannins. I actually think they've helped with my algae problem by keeping light levels low. I've added some frogbit, which should add shade, so I'm going to work on reducing the tannins and see how it goes.

Life got crazy and I haven't had time to do much more than throw in the new plants I ordered and feed the fish once in a while.

New plants include:
Huge bag of buce from a guy in my local aquarium club
Small clumps of assorted buce ordered online
Red rubin sword (this may be a mistake - if it does well, it will probably take over that end of the tank)
Bolbitis fern
Anubias congensis mini (seriously, as cool in person as it looked online)

I'm done adding plants for a while! We won't see the new crinums for a while - they're behind the wood pile, but when I poke my head back there, they seem to be doing fine.

Here's what it looks like tonight:

Tags
low tech

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com