90 gal Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foshizzle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is our 90 gal cichlid tank.

image-2397832172.jpg

The plants grow so fast it is unreal. The big tree looking plant in the middle grew that large in about 1 month.

We have added some corkscrew grass and some other really cool grass that will fill in the left side of the tank.

We have a 6 bar cichlid, a peacock, two green terrors, and a couple others I don't know their names/types but pics below.

We also have 4 clown loaches, 2 pictus cats, 3 butis butis crazy fish, and one super awesome blue panaque pleco. It is new to the tank and hasn't quite changed to a blue color yet, more dark navy.

We also have one very lazy Raphael cat, it doesn't move and just lays there most of the day.

One thing that's cool is one of the green terrors lays eggs, so we hope the other is a male but it is too young still to know. Only problem is she is very aggressive when she lays eggs. And she is only aggressive toward the other green terror, not to any of the others. We thought that was kind of strange.

I hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• image-2825780456.jpg
    image-2825780456.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3839912902.jpg
    image-3839912902.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image-559451328.jpg
    image-559451328.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image-132668391.jpg
    image-132668391.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1481367343.jpg
    image-1481367343.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-188974883.jpg
    image-188974883.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1994379032.jpg
    image-1994379032.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2445688206.jpg
    image-2445688206.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3002101340.jpg
    image-3002101340.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2418773092.jpg
    image-2418773092.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2221818411.jpg
    image-2221818411.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 137
It is official, we have ich in this tank.

The new clown loaches that we thought were a great deal ended up being a bad deal! They had or brought ich will them from a new LFS that we went too.

Now a couple of our other cichlids have it as well. Very unfortunate!

Looks good but not a good idea mixing African's w/South American's,I can see a fish war coming..not to mention that both varieties do much better with different parameters... African's enjoy a higher ph as SA's enjoy a lower softer ph..your problem will stem from the two very different temperaments of your current stock,in the long run the African's will most likely shred your plants...the green terrors look to be gold saums,the goldish tint around the tail gives it away...these fish are much more aggressive than true green terrors...

Definite rethink in order, planted tank with SA/CA cichlids - even some of these will eat plants or none planted with African cichlids.

Well so far no aggression, they have been together for a couple months now.

We have no issue with them eating the plants as that's what they are there for. If it keeps them happy that's what matters.

And we placed flat rocks at the roots to protect them, so no uprooting. Again, no issues since we added the rocks.

I think the green terror/gold saum is a bit of a myth. I did some research and it really doesn't seem that they would be that different. We asked the LFS and they said that if they aren't having any issues yet, since it's a decent sized tank that isn't over stocked that it is possible they will be fine.

What sort of signs of aggression should we be looking for?

Aggression is something I know all too well. You'll know it when it happens. Your mixing ALOT of different species and regions. Be careful it's a recipe for disaster. I had my share of issues when I mixed all different kinds of cichlids.

I never had luck with plants so good luck with that hope it works out for ya. Now... You said you have ich? How are you treating?

Temp raise, salt and meds. So far no losses. Hopefully caught it early enough.

Pissed the LFS has it in they clown loach tank and that's what we bought and added, from their tank. We will see I guess.

Seriously though, no issues with aggression so far at all.

What are some example? To the point of death?

Temp raise, salt and meds. So far no losses. Hopefully caught it early enough.

Pissed the LFS has it in they clown loach tank and that's what we bought and added, from their tank. We will see I guess.

Seriously though, no issues with aggression so far at all.

What are some example? To the point of death?

I lost 20 fish to a hyper dominate male mbuna

It's a risk we are willing to take right now. If we have any issues we will switch the aggressor to another tank. We have 4.

So it isn't an issue right now. Or get rid of it.

So far after a few months there haven't been any issues.

One quick question, anyone have experience with quarantine tanks?

Right now we just have the heater, filter and light. Do we need anything else in it?

We will keep the temp at 80 to 81 degrees, at the same temp as our other tanks and use it for new fish for a couple weeks before adding to the main tanks. How should we establish it? It was an established tank with breeders in it but we got rid of them.

Suggestions?

One quick question, anyone have experience with quarantine tanks?

Right now we just have the heater, filter and light. Do we need anything else in it?

We will keep the temp at 80 to 81 degrees, at the same temp as our other tanks and use it for new fish for a couple weeks before adding to the main tanks. How should we establish it? It was an established tank with breeders in it but we got rid of them.

Suggestions?

Sounds good to me. It's a QT tank it's not meant to fancy. At least IMO. Mine has nothing in it but a heater and filter. No deco or substrate.

Ya, we don't want anything fancy either, keep it simple is best I think. I added a few things to cycle the tank from our healthy established tank even though it was already established. Just thought without fish in it. Might be a good idea for now.

Back
Top Bottom