9g Biube Money Pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the vid link! I don't see the yellow in the tail on this one but perhaps he's young/stressed with the move. I will try to get some better pics. He seems camera shy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love puffers! We had a puffer in mind when we got our 29 gallon, but then my daughter wanted a gourami. Probably better that way since we were first starting out.

Those fish in the video are older adults. Suspecting it is the juvenile stage. The circle pattern is more circlular and less mottled and more green than yellow-green. That's why I think male. We will see. Really cute no matter which!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477925217.565781.jpg

Mr. Puff has been in the tank about a week and the thought just popped into my head....
I set up the tank to look like I wanted, but is this the best set up for Mr. Puff?

Do they like to hang on the bottom and I should pull about half of this crap out?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bump...

I did some more reading on other advice forums and what I found was that this set up with lots of stuff is preferable to keep puffs from getting bored.

But always looking for more input.

Now I have another challenge. This tank is at work and we have a long holiday coming up. I will be out of the office for 7 days. No one will be there for 4 days.

Should I bring him home and put him in a breeder? Or let him go hungry for 4 days and ask a coworker to feed him?

You could leave him. Ask a coworker to feed him, just once or twice, and put in some snails when you leave.

I'm leaning that way. Pretty stressful to be moved around. How long can dwarf puffers go between feedings?
Yeah, im not sure. Is an auto feeder an option? It might be a nice investment, especially for an office tank. Ive seen em for about $20 or so

Bump...

I did some more reading on other advice forums and what I found was that this set up with lots of stuff is preferable to keep puffs from getting bored.

But always looking for more input.

Now I have another challenge. This tank is at work and we have a long holiday coming up. I will be out of the office for 7 days. No one will be there for 4 days.

Should I bring him home and put him in a breeder? Or let him go hungry for 4 days and ask a coworker to feed him?

I don't know much about puffers. If it was my tank I'd try to put in a few rocks/pebbles to create cave/hole structures for the puffer to explore and keep the top part open for swimming. You could glue a rock formation you like together so it can be picked out for cleaning or turned/moved periodically to keep the puffer amused. You could try to stuff a few suitable live plants in there too in and around the rocks if puffers and plants mix.

I don't know much about puffers. If it was my tank I'd try to put in a few rocks/pebbles to create cave/hole structures for the puffer to explore and keep the top part open for swimming. You could glue a rock formation you like together so it can be picked out for cleaning or turned/moved periodically to keep the puffer amused. You could try to stuff a few suitable live plants in there too in and around the rocks if puffers and plants mix.

All of the green plants in the pic are live. Java fern and mosses. That big chunk of coral has a big cave in the middle as well as all the little branches for exploring.

All of the green plants in the pic are live. Java fern and mosses. That big chunk of coral has a big cave in the middle as well as all the little branches for exploring.

Seems fine to me then. Does Mr Puff look happy?

I have been feeding him ramshorn snails and bloodworms. Last night I got some mts to add to his diet. My little 5g tank is set up just to grow his food. IMG_1478612503.097008.jpg

Just throw some snails in there. I recently got a little fleet of these guys, very cool little fish. I just introduced a colony of neocardia shrimps, hopefully they breed and get a new food source going. Should have seen the puffs interactions at first. Food? Foe? Bamn!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just throw some snails in there. I recently got a little fleet of these guys, very cool little fish. I just introduced a colony of neocardia shrimps, hopefully they breed and get a new food source going. Should have seen the puffs interactions at first. Food? Foe? Bamn!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's like a velociraptor under water. Snails have no chance.

I will toss in a bunch and hope he doesn't try to eat them ALL at once.

Back
Top Bottom