Angelfish tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
So... I have 1 Angelfish long-finned and 3 pure white Angelfish (this is what I call them lol). They're not in their adult sized yet (they're at 1/3 of their adult standard size perhaps??). And here is they're current tank mates:
1. Rainbow sharks (6) (perhaps 5 of them will be removed)
2. Rainbow fish (3)
3. Pink danio (10) (will be removed)
4. Albino pleco (1)
5. Golden-black molly (2)
6. Red molly (2 or 3)
7. Swordtail Platy (2 or 3)
8. Unknown fish (4) (need help identifying)

So my first question is, which can stay, which must be removed, which can probably stay? Judging from what someone said to me, the tank's size is 40-50 US gallons.

My second question is, can you tell me the list of possible tank mates?? I hear that angelfish is a cichlid but since this one is a bit more calm, I'd like to find other calm fishes too. But I just don't know which can bein the same tank as the Angelfishes...

Thank you in advance! :)

Note: You don't have to tell me about "you're way overstocked" or something like that, because I am not asking about how much/how many, etc. I am asking about what fish is good for Angelfish tank mates and which is not. Since right now it's kind of overstocked with goldfishes and they will be removed tomorrow into another tank/huge tub/pond.

I won't say what needs to be removed, but i know what works for me.
I have 4 angels, 10 danios (blue pearl, zebra, gold) about 7 platy's, 6 oto catfish, a zebra and olive nerite. Have 1 baby Angel that survived the first batch and the parents just laid another 200 eggs or so last night on my filter tube. They all get along. The angels only tried to eat my fry. MINE are not bothered by the other fish.
I moved my bristlenose albino pleco because he would rasp my plants and ignore zucchini. I may put him back in since he now knows what zucchini is.
If you want calm, the Platy's are colorful and not always on the move like danios. But my angels aren't bothered by the danios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I won't say what needs to be removed, but i know what works for me.
I have 4 angels, 10 danios (blue pearl, zebra, gold) about 7 platy's, 6 oto catfish, a zebra and olive nerite. Have 1 baby Angel that survived the first batch and the parents just laid another 200 eggs or so last night on my filter tube. They all get along. The angels only tried to eat my fry. MINE are not bothered by the other fish.
I moved my bristlenose albino pleco because he would rasp my plants and ignore zucchini. I may put him back in since he now knows what zucchini is.
If you want calm, the Platy's are colorful and not always on the move like danios. But my angels aren't bothered by the danios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My angelfishes experienced death, found out that the problem was from fin nippers, now they have been removed.

Yea, found out the angelfish, goldfish, danios (haven't removed them yet), molly, platy, and the rainbow fish gets along pretty well.

But thanks for convincing me even more to keep these fishes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now my other question is, do you have any idea of what other fish can get along with angelfishes??

"a zebra and olive nerite" What is this zebra fish?? Can you post a picture of it?? And I'll search about this Olive Nerite, I'm curious xD

Oh, sorry. Zebra and Olive Nerite Snails. :)
I've wanted to add some other fish like larger Tetras (Serpae, Silver) because I hear they won't nip if kept in a large group and Angels generally leave full size Cardinal tetras alone, but I haven't taken the chance, yet. Finally happy with my plant spread so I may give it a shot.

If you post your tank measurements we can tell you how many gallons you actually have. Can you post a pic ?

A pic of the whole tank plus a pic of the "unknown" fish ?

I'm not a fan of a mishmash of fish.

My 55g stocking plan is
8 Corydoras sterbai ( have 4 so far )
8 or more Neon Tetras
8 or more Glowlight Tetras (5 so far )
1 Farlowella vittata
1 Pearl Gourami
2 GBR
6 Otos

I had originally wanted a big group of Cardinal Tetras and Rummynose. But I can't get them locally. So I may trade out some tetra groups later.

Social fish I think should have 6 or more. With big groups you get better behaviors. I hope to end up with 20 Rummynose...but will see how things work out. I'll probably add in some Amano Shrimp.

I don't like super busy fish mixed into a calm tank. I think they steal the food and can stress out calmer tank mates. But that's IMHO.

My favorite is my Corydoras, so my tank and tank mates are all planned around them.
6f161c7ddaa0264482c252f6088e5565.jpg
0e589770d00edb47fd6b85e93bc9e270.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you post your tank measurements we can tell you how many gallons you actually have. Can you post a pic ?

A pic of the whole tank plus a pic of the "unknown" fish ?

I'm not a fan of a mishmash of fish.

My 55g stocking plan is
8 Corydoras sterbai ( have 4 so far )
8 or more Neon Tetras
8 or more Glowlight Tetras (5 so far )
1 Farlowella vittata
1 Pearl Gourami
2 GBR
6 Otos

I had originally wanted a big group of Cardinal Tetras and Rummynose. But I can't get them locally. So I may trade out some tetra groups later.

Social fish I think should have 6 or more. With big groups you get better behaviors. I hope to end up with 20 Rummynose...but will see how things work out. I'll probably add in some Amano Shrimp.

I don't like super busy fish mixed into a calm tank. I think they steal the food and can stress out calmer tank mates. But that's IMHO.

Sadly no one sells cory nor oto in my place. So I go with albino pleco or lemon/Chinese algae eater.

Hmmm, the unknown fish turns out to be Buenos Aires (I stumbled upon the same fish somewhere, and the shopkeeper said it's Buenos Aires).

From a website that was recommended to me by some user here, it says around 53.4 US gallons.

So stick with removing all but one shark. If you give him good hiding place at on end he won't harass entire tank when he grows. Just make sure not to use hollow ornaments he could get stuck in.

Watch out for Buenos Aires, they can be nippy to long fins. Keep them well fed. They also eat plants. They can get 2.5" or larger.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/characins/b_aires.php

Sadly no one sells cory nor oto in my place. So I go with albino pleco or lemon/Chinese algae eater.

Hmmm, the unknown fish turns out to be Buenos Aires (I stumbled upon the same fish somewhere, and the shopkeeper said it's Buenos Aires).

From a website that was recommended to me by some user here, it says around 53.4 US gallons.

Glad you avoided the Chinese Algae Eater. CAE get big and mean. They are also notorious for sucking body slime off of sleeping fish. Esp large slow fish.

Hmm, I have this algae eater in my cardinal + guppy tank. He is lazy and only active when hungry. But I can't tell whether he is lemon or chinese... And does albino pleco suck body slime too?? From some sources they say yes.

I put the yellow labs, buenos aires and all of the rainbow shark inside the same separate tank. And they seem to be living fairly well. I feed them once a day just to see whether they can be aggressive towards each other if I forgot giving them food more than twice a day

Plecos are typically harmless. Some get territorial about caves.

Chinese Algae Eaters whether regular silver or golden color can get 12" long and mean. Babies eat algae. Older ones don't.

Look up Pleco info on Planet Catfish. ID your pleco.

Google Chinese Algae Eater for ID pics

So... I have 1 Angelfish long-finned and 3 pure white Angelfish (this is what I call them lol). They're not in their adult sized yet (they're at 1/3 of their adult standard size perhaps??). And here is they're current tank mates:
1. Rainbow sharks (6) (perhaps 5 of them will be removed)
2. Rainbow fish (3)
3. Pink danio (10) (will be removed)
4. Albino pleco (1)
5. Golden-black molly (2)
6. Red molly (2 or 3)
7. Swordtail Platy (2 or 3)
8. Unknown fish (4) (need help identifying)

So my first question is, which can stay, which must be removed, which can probably stay? Judging from what someone said to me, the tank's size is 40-50 US gallons.

My second question is, can you tell me the list of possible tank mates?? I hear that angelfish is a cichlid but since this one is a bit more calm, I'd like to find other calm fishes too. But I just don't know which can bein the same tank as the Angelfishes...

Thank you in advance! :)

Note: You don't have to tell me about "you're way overstocked" or something like that, because I am not asking about how much/how many, etc. I am asking about what fish is good for Angelfish tank mates and which is not. Since right now it's kind of overstocked with goldfishes and they will be removed tomorrow into another tank/huge tub/pond.

Dude holy cow. Bad stock!

Rainbow sharks can only be kept one per tank, they hate their own kind, I've told you this a month ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dude holy cow. Bad stock!

Rainbow sharks can only be kept one per tank, they hate their own kind, I've told you this a month ago.

U told me where lol, and this post is actually old. No one replied to this post for about 2 weeks then someone pops out lol.

Tho now the rainbow sharks have been returned.

Btw, if you say rainbow sharks hate their own kind, then why shopkeepers keep plenty of them inside the same tank (one plain tank with no stone, coral, sand, etc)?? And they seem to get along pretty well there...

Anyway don't worry about the rainbow sharks, none of them is there in that tank, anymore

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pet stores don't practice long term stocking which is why you see this, even then its wrong. And I told you on the long thread about you and your dad's fish!! Ahh remember that?

Good that their gone.

Pet stores don't practice long term stocking which is why you see this, even then its wrong. And I told you on the long thread about you and your dad's fish!! Ahh remember that?

Good that their gone.

Oh yea, now I remember lol. Yea now they're gone, so don't worry.

My next problem is that the tub I was talking about?? Still not here.... They say the production was delayed or something... (they have no stock, they only make when got orders).

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you a fan of snails?? xD

They aren't really helping my algae like I hoped. They just leave trails of squiggly thin lines thru what they eat up so I end up cleaning it myself anyway. But they are interesting to watch and surprisingly faster than I imagined.

They aren't really helping my algae like I hoped. They just leave trails of squiggly thin lines thru what they eat up so I end up cleaning it myself anyway. But they are interesting to watch and surprisingly faster than I imagined.

Faster?? o_O

Yea I'd like to have them too :3

Btw, I don't really know, but the internet always say that they can get to 6 until 10 inches long (angelfishes). Did they count only the body length/height or including their fins as well?? (for example: 3 inch body height + 3 inch fin height, the upper one and the lower one OR 6 inch body height and unknown fin height which depends on the variety of the fish, whether it is long finned or regular one)

In Angels they measure across.
Tip of nose to just before tail. 4-6" max.

Tip of top fin to tip of bottom fin
8-10" max except Altums hit 12"
Thats why they need tall tanks.

In Angels they measure across.
Tip of nose to just before tail. 4-6" max.

Tip of top fin to tip of bottom fin
8-10" max except Altums hit 12"
Thats why they need tall tanks.

What's their minimum adult/breeding size?? And their average size in online shops??

Back
Top Bottom