Beginning of my 29g tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if I am going to tie anything to it or not...can't decide.

Before you totally decide on the final aquascape, read about the golden rule (2:1 ratio) and the different overall shapes (such as concave, convex, etc) and i think it will look better overall in the end.

I've still yet to make an aquascape i can say i am truly proud of.

Update with driftwood pictures....

Here is my new piece of driftwood (that I boiled first) and attached an anubia to it. It was so funny. I got my thread out to attach it to the driftwood and saw a "notch" in the wood that was exactly the same size as the rhizome on the plant. I stuck it in there and it fit perfectly. So, I didn't use the thread after all! How's it looking???

I didn't stick it hard...there was just a notch that it slid into...if you look carefully you can see the rhizome and some of the roots coming out onto the back part of the driftwood.

looking good. i actually did the same thing with my anubias Nana. i pulled some of the rhizome through a hole in the rock.

New update with pictures...

I now have everything in my tank that I wanted in there, including the rock formation and the driftwood with anubia attached. I have included new pictures that I took this morning after adding the rock formation. I will let my plants get good and established and then begin my silent cycle.....I will keep it updated with pictures. :D

My tank lighting is much brighter than these pictures turned out. Also, the floating plant on the left is an ozelot sword that is going to Atl300zx on Monday.

I really like the rockwork, although it does make me want to see a couple of smaller pieces on the left. I look forward to seeing it more grown in.

I really like the rockwork, although it does make me want to see a couple of smaller pieces on the left. I look forward to seeing it more grown in.

Joy,
I want to get a small pleco down the road and I know they like driftwood. That is why I put the driftwood flat on the left side with the anubia in it. It is 15" long (but not very big otherwise) so I wasn't sure where else to put it except on the left side....:p. As time goes on and the plants fill in, I am sure I will change the scape around. That rock formation was SO HEAVY. I glued all of the pieces together (thanks everyone who convinced me to do that!!). Then, I had to get up on a chair to lower it in to the tank carefully. Aching back, I'll say! That was the last of the rock my husband got for me from my sister-in-law's house. I used most of what he originally got me in my fire bellied toad's habitat. Maybe he can make another small "rock run" for me sometime soon and I will build something smaller for the 29g tank down the road. :D

I like what you've got now, including the driftwod. Just would be nice to see a couple smaller pieces of rock to help tie together the scape. Hopefully your hubby can find some more for you before long.

Updated with fish pictures...

Here are pictures of my new rubberlip pleco that I got today...you can also see my six red lamp tetras up at the top if you look closely. I will get more and better pictures tomorrow...
The pleco is adorable! The first thing he explored was the rock formation and he has been swimming all around the walls of the tank in the last little while. The tetras are calming down nicely and exploring the tank. :)

ya know....I was just looking at my pleco's tummy as he was up against the glass and it kind of looks sunkin in .... does that mean he is starving?? I couldn't see that side of him at the petstore. Should I drop in a sinking algae wafer for him tonight? I kinda wanted them all to get settled tonight without feeding them. Should I go ahead and drop in something for him?

A sunken tummy is generally not a good sign. I would probably just add a small amount of food (small portion of sinking algae wafer) so that he has something to eat if wanted but won't be as likely to harm your water parameters if he's not up to eating yet. Make sure to fish out anything that's still there after 24hrs.

morning update with pics

I was able to get some relatively up-close pictures of my pleco this morning. Just before I took these shots I noticed he was pooping, so that is a good sign, yes? Last night I put in a very small pieice of algae wafter and a 1/2 slice of zucchini hoping he would eat them. I don't know about the wafer because as it was dissolving I tried to drop it near where he was hiding under the driftwood, so I am hopin he got that. The zucchini doesn't look touched though.
Can you see his tummy in these shots? If so, what is your opinion.....:neutral:
Thanks!

From what I can see in the pictures, I don't think his stomach looks particularly sunken. Probably just needs some feeding up.

Back
Top Bottom