Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Betta tank mate?

I'm upgrading my current 10 gallon fish tank to a 40 gallon, so I'm thinking of putting a betta in my 10 gallon. I know that Bettas are aggressive and don't do well even with more Bettas, but is there anything I can put with one?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It entirely depends on the personality of the betta. I believe that most don't do well with tank mates, this comes from my personal experience. Others have had them eat antenna off of snails and consume their shrimp. I have heard others say that they do well with corys. Each case is unique.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umramgirl View Post
I'm upgrading my current 10 gallon fish tank to a 40 gallon, so I'm thinking of putting a betta in my 10 gallon. I know that Bettas are aggressive and don't do well even with more Bettas, but is there anything I can put with one?
There are many different opinions on this question, with many people saying "no", many people saying "yes", and most people saying "It depends on the individual betta and that betta's aggression level".

This is a common question but a very important question, and here are a few recent threads on bettas and tankmates that will give you some instant answers.

Betta

Betta in my tank with other fish?

Another Betta Thread

Is Betta fish suitable for a comunity tank?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree 100% with LyndaB, I would say that about 3 out of 4 bettas will never be able to have a tank mate. However, there is always that occasion where a betta is unusually laid back and they do fine. It really just depends on the aggression, I would try a ghost shrimp. Since they are not a very bright, attention-getting color and they keep to themselves on the bottom they would be the best to test the your betta's aggression level.

Why buy what you can DIY?
adadkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My betta is in a 20 long. He is bright blue nd very fancy and extremely active and gets along just fine with 4 cory cats, and 5 various loaches (of course they are on the bottom but the Betta like to dive down and try to get to their algae wafers now and then. The corys can handle him and never an incident. They seem to all get along fine.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a m Betta also blue and pretty fancy with a red tint but nowhere near 20 lol but I have him with a red honey gourami couple of mollies (two males one female ) 3 coolie loaches and some amano shrimp he's fine with all except the male sailfin Molly not massively aggressive but he does show aggression everynow and again with the neck extensions but the sailfin just moves away and the Betta backs off just lettin him know who's boss although he doesn't nip fins just shows off I personally think its coz of the female Betta but other than that it's a totally peaceful community I got going on
Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have my betta in a 17g with otos, corys, neon tetras and Amano shrimp. He gets on well with them all but it is down to each betta individually.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if a male Betta will build a bubble nest while the female is in the tank or does she have to be in another tank before he comes into condition she is showing the horizontal stripes saying shes ready and he seems interested but hasn't built a nest any ideas ?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjak View Post
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if a male Betta will build a bubble nest while the female is in the tank or does she have to be in another tank before he comes into condition she is showing the horizontal stripes saying shes ready and he seems interested but hasn't built a nest any ideas ?
It is possible, but a female should NOT be in the tank except after the male has built the nest and you are ready for them to breed.

Why buy what you can DIY?
adadkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

its possible (depending on the betta) but make sure its heavily planted with a lot of sight breakers just for good measure

Tags
betta, mate, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com