Blitz's 10 gallon jungle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlitzCraze

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is my tank let me know what you think

Sub straight
Fluorite black sand

Fish/snails
One rabbit snail
Two oto cats
Two African dwarf frogs
One sword tail guppy

Plants well your all smarts
If you don't know ask lol

Lighting
Two 13 watt spiral cfl 6500k

Please Note that the fluorite is still settling after about a month the dust and white coat from it settling will be gone

cfdb45a6-8075-e8f7.jpg

cfdb45a6-809e-2ca3.jpg

cfdb45a6-80b1-ce8f.jpg

cfdb45a6-80d3-607a.jpg

cfdb45a6-80e8-05f6.jpg

Thank you for looking and let me know what you think

you've got a nice tank going on but i just want to suggest that you get 5 more guppies since they like to be in a school of 6 :) also otos are happier in schools of 3 or more. since you have so many small critters in there, get a couple red cherry shrimp cuz they are an amazing cleanup crew and everything in that tank can coexist. just watch out for your rabbit snail tho, it might start eating the plants lol

JokerWx13 said:
you've got a nice tank going on but i just want to suggest that you get 5 more guppies since they like to be in a school of 6 :) also otos are happier in schools of 3 or more. since you have so many small critters in there, get a couple red cherry shrimp cuz they are an amazing cleanup crew and everything in that tank can coexist. just watch out for your rabbit snail tho, it might start eating the plants lol

Guppies arent schooling fish. I think you should get more, but not for that reason. 5 more would be overstocked IMO, and you'd have babies everywhere.

Also ottos are happy in groups, but 3 cant fit in a 10g..:/

I agree with the shrimp, that is a perfect tank for some red cherry shrimp, or crystal red's.

Great looking tank and scape btw:)

Cool looking tank! I just got a rabbit snail too and I just love love LOVE her, but yes, she eats my plants. Still love her though!

Nice looking tank! IMO you could fit 2 more otos if you supplement their feeding. I wish my 5 gallon with a screw in light looked that good.

6 guppies and 3 otos in a 10g is far from overstocked xD but you do have a point about their being too much guppy fry in the future lol

6 guppies and 3 otos in a 10g is far from overstocked xD but you do have a point about their being too much guppy fry in the future lol
That depends on filtration. Guppies have big bioloads.

JokerWx13 said:

Completly disagree.

6 guppies PLUS the other stock is indeed, overstocked in a 10 gallon tank

Ottos dont have a large bioload and i never said that, but 3 wont fit in a 10 gallon IMO. They can be picky eaters alot if the time, and if they are, a 10 wont supply the algae needed.

Gboy66 said:
Completly disagree.

6 guppies PLUS the other stock is indeed, overstocked in a 10 gallon tank

Ottos dont have a large bioload and i never said that, but 3 wont fit in a 10 gallon IMO. They can be picky eaters alot if the time, and if they are, a 10 wont supply the algae needed.

Just for the heck of it I'll add this- I had one oto in a 10 and was told the same thing, they need friends and a 10 won't be enough for three. So while my 20g is filling in plant-wise I went ahead and got two more otos assuming I would just move all three over to my bigger tank once it was established.

In the mean time I have 4 female guppies and 3 otos and the otos are chunky! They have those chubby bellies I was told meant they were getting enough food. I toss in algae pellets every now and then but I think it is mostly algae and leftover niblets.

image-2871072086.jpg

image-1894594134.jpg

I love that photo!

I still intend to move them, but honestly they seem so happy I don't really want to.

VioletEmber said:
Just for the heck of it I'll add this- I had one oto in a 10 and was told the same thing, they need friends and a 10 won't be enough for three. So while my 20g is filling in plant-wise I went ahead and got two more otos assuming I would just move all three over to my bigger tank once it was established.

In the mean time I have 4 female guppies and 3 otos and the otos are chunky! They have those chubby bellies I was told meant they were getting enough food. I toss in algae pellets every now and then but I think it is mostly algae and leftover niblets.

I love that photo!

I still intend to move them, but honestly they seem so happy I don't really want to.

Lol great photo.

It can definitly work for some people, but in general it isnt somthing that is recommended for many reasons.

those look like some healthy looking otos :) love that they're lining up for a photo xD and if you want to feed your otos, all you need to do is boil a slice of zucchini for a minute or two then attach it somewhere in the tank, my otos love it :)

most otos looooove zucchini lol all you need to do is boil it for a couple of minutes then stick it in the tank. my otos are all over that thing xD that's a pretty cool picture btw, your otos are all lining up for your picture :)

Thanks for the input guys and that oto pic mine are very happy with just the too fat and happy lol I feed mine cucumber ;)

Otos are fine in a 10 gallon IF you feed them. They problem is from when people expect them to only eat algae. Even in a 20 gallon you need to supplement their food.

How did my topic about my tank turn into a heated oto debate lol

BlitzCraze said:
How did my topic about my tank turn into a heated oto debate lol

We AA's love to squibble over stocking questions! It's our bread and butter! But honestly I have learned some interesting things that way, so it's good! How is YOUR tank doing these days? Lol ;)

My tanks doing great ! So are my two Otos in my ten gallon lmao ;)

Back
Top Bottom