Blue Crayfish strikes a pose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got these with my phone, so not the best quality. Crayfish are so cool.

img_1624890_0_46f3ca8c5adc97bf35d26a51df07b341.jpg

img_1624890_1_4f927bbcf483e14fbf8dcc6763b1405d.jpg

Very nice ~ most of mine are pretty camera shy, but I get a few good ones once in awhile.

WyRenegade, do you have blue ones or are you keeping natives?

severum mama, great photos!

Thanks Lynda! I'm going to miss this cray when it comes out of QT and is offered for sale. LOL :(

Last edited:
Fascinating. I'm not familiar with the one with the purple claws, but the other is Cambarellus shufeldtii, right?

To be totally honest, I've not spent much time trying to classify them. My thoughts would be more towards Orconectes virilis, which is the native species around here. But hard to say for sure. I'm not sure the purple clawed is actually a different species, as I read quite a bit that would indicate the color variations are at least to some degree brought about by differences in chemical present in the water column.

Very cool! Those are great photos. My old Crayfish did that once, except he was on the floor in the hallway (he had escaped during the night, but we put him back in the tank and he survived) :)

Super Cool!! My LFS keeps one (it's huge!) I'd love to have one, but no MTS yet for me. Thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom