Carriwin's Tank Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats! Love the cories, I really miss my albinos loved how they were constantly on the move.
One happy convict too ;)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Thanks, shelly! The cories are all over the place!! They're so entertaining to watch. My neons were not very happy with me at first when I let the cories go...because they basically ran right through where they were sitting. LOL But I think everyone's made nice now. :)

I wiped out Petsmart of their Albino Cory stash. :D I wanted to make sure everyone was taken care of. Some of my cories are really tiny, but they won't stay that way for long. ^.^

That new black gravel looks very nice and will provide a nice contrast for both the corys and the neons.

And I bet the Keyhole is wondering where everyone went. :D

Thanks, Barliman! I'm pretty excited about the black gravel. It turned out much better than I thought. :)

104771-albums14536-picture70234.jpg

very impressive I like like like :D

So, I have this thing where I cannot seem to walk into any fish store (petsmart, etc) without walking out with more than I intended. I just went to check glass lids for my 38g as the evaporation rate is ridiculous and water treatment stuff... walked out with water treatment and this guy...

Meet Patriot.

104771-albums14536-picture70277.jpg

104771-albums14536-picture70278.jpg

104771-albums14536-picture70279.jpg

I literally had a different fish in my hand. He was pretty, white, cheaper. I walked by this guy, and he didn't look so happy at first, but then he turned and stared at me. I moved, he moved. I put the other fish back and took him home. If he recognized me, I might as well.

So, as Patriot is obviously a betta, he's base white with blue splotches and red fins with a green shimmer overall. He kinda looks like fireworks. :D

Patriot is beautiful! I would really, really love another betta but I only have so much room! Keep checking out my room's just to see if there's any space lol
He's got such a gorgeous colour to him. Congrats :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Thanks, shelly! He's in a 2.5gal, which I've had for awhile. I had a female convict in the tank, so I just rinsed it out a bit (now having established substrate) and he seems pretty content. I only wish my desk at work was big enough that I could have him sit here with me. ;)

So, I'm debating changing out the substrate in my 2.5g. I'm thinking I want to put one or two plants into this tank to assist with O2 production. I was looking on a previous thread from 2010 for a dorm room tank of the same size. They suggested anubius nana as an option as it's low light, low maintenance, and hardy. I'm thinking that's probably going to be my best bet.

I kinda like watersprite, too,... however that looks a little tall for my tiny tank.

I think I'll venture petsmart again :banghead: and go look to see what they have available for a plant. I have a moss ball, but I figure if I can put the anubius nana in there with it, then it should be okay. Really don't want to do yet another substrate change... can I plant such things in gravel or sand I wonder?

I think I'll venture petsmart again :banghead: and go look to see what they have available for a plant. I have a moss ball, but I figure if I can put the anubius nana in there with it, then it should be okay. Really don't want to do yet another substrate change... can I plant such things in gravel or sand I wonder?

Patriot's a handsome little guy -- neat coloring! (y)

As for plants, anubias nana petite is perfect for a small tank. Attach it to a small piece of driftwood and add a couple of crypts and your set. The anubias leaves will give Patriot some place to rest, too. Bettas like that.

Carriwin, keep in mind that betta's are labyrinth fish, and don't need much oxygen in the water, as they get part of, if not most of the oxygen they need from the atmosphere, not the water.

On a separate note, Patriot looks really good, and I'm jealous you can get another betta. They're some of my favorites!

Your tanks are looking pretty nice carriwin. I think that bit of driftwood you have in the 55 said it wanted to come live with me though.

Barliman: Awesome, I'll aim for the Anubias then. What are crypts? (I think dank burial places for the dead. LOL)

Mercusso: Thanks! I usually feel bad, because I'm always afraid they don't have enough air, even though I know they get it from the atmosphere. LOL I know it's illogical, but there it is. I am also trying to think of ways to bring Patriot to work with me and have him here,... but my desk just isn't big enough. Maybe I can convince my boss to put a mini tank stand next to me for him. LOL

Alan: Thanks! That piece of "driftwood" was actually an inheritance piece from a friend of mine... and I think he got it at Petsmart, as I saw a similar piece there the other day. I don't know if they ship to Australia or not, but here's the link to the piece: Driftwood Piece

Barliman: Awesome, I'll aim for the Anubias then. What are crypts? (I think dank burial places for the dead. LOL)

Tombstone decorations! For the betta who has everything! :blink:

"Crypts" is short for "cryptocorynes," a low-medium light plant that's quite attractive. I had several in a 10g and the betta just loved it: he liked to play "commando" stalking through the jungle. :ROFLMAO:

Just be aware that, when first planted in a new tank, the leave will most likely "melt" away -- that is, rot. You'll think the plant is dead, but, in a couple of weeks, you'll get luscious new growth. The plant was just adjusting to the water. Cryptocoryne Wendtii is a good one for people new to crypts.

Tombstone decorations! For the betta who has everything! :blink:

"Crypts" is short for "cryptocorynes," a low-medium light plant that's quite attractive. I had several in a 10g and the betta just loved it: he liked to play "commando" stalking through the jungle. :ROFLMAO:

Just be aware that, when first planted in a new tank, the leave will most likely "melt" away -- that is, rot. You'll think the plant is dead, but, in a couple of weeks, you'll get luscious new growth. The plant was just adjusting to the water. Cryptocoryne Wendtii is a good one for people new to crypts.

Hey now, I'm totally the type to have a white betta "hovering" over a mini graveyard so they look like they're an apparition... :D Crap, opportunity wasted. LOL

So, as I have a 2.5 tank, will that be too big for it? You know what's bad,.. I'm looking at a blippin' 10g tank. I dont' need to buy another one... *whine* but I probably will... *head desk*

OK... so I just shopped Craigslist and am picking up a 10g tank, hood, LED's, etc etc etc for 20.... looks like Patriot just got an upgrade. LOL Now, other than plants... I think, as I now have a 10g, what else would I stock in the tank? I think it's a little much for just him...

We must be soulmates: I was thinking of a black betta swimming among little headstones -- a goth or emo betta. :ROFLMAO: :bat:

OMG Right? That's awesome! They'd be a set of bookends! :D If only they made aquarium decor like that,... I'd be all over it. :) (y)

So,... I scored a nice 10G tank with a hood, filter, heater, decor, water test kit, food, chemicals, the WHOLE nine yards.

104771-albums14536-picture70283.jpg

Sorry, I just realized the picture was dark. :/ Oh well, you get the generalized idea. I'm not really intending to use the decor and definitely not the neon clown puke gravel. But it's an awesome score none-the-less, and am grateful.

So as I was cleaning out said items, I realized that this tank was running up until very recently. Water in the gravel, not rancid or anything, but just wet. Also, there were these fresh little plants:

104771-albums14536-picture70284.jpg

Which I placed into tank water until I get another package of the deeper substrate. Question is... What plant is it? I found these and some small snails (which I did not keep) in the substrate as I was cleaning out the tank. Nice to know it was a healthy tank before I received it. :)

So, I ended up setting it up and starting the cycling process. I had the brown gravel from a previous betta set up, which still was in water with the moss ball up until a couple days ago. :D I need to grab a new filter pad after work today and stuff that in there along with the new gravel. :)

104771-albums14536-picture70285.jpg

Here's where we start with the new 10g! I'm excited. The only potential downside is the lighting is a string of LED's, but I think they'll last for awhile before I have to concern myself with changing it out. By then, I'll probably either replace the hood, or buy another string. We'll see. :D

Nice looking tanks good score on the 10gl

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom