Cleaning canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manning7987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just installed two 100 gallon canister filters on a 129 gallon tank. How often should I clean them?

My filter schedule is by flow, not time. I wait until seeing a noticeable reduction in flow rate. One is on 72 days right now, and looking to be a good candidate for the once-over any time now...

I have a 90g with 2 canisters and I do a general filter clean on 1 per month, just rinse the basket keep the media soaked in tank water and clean the sponges. Works a treat

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

I have a 90g with 2 canisters and I do a general filter clean on 1 per month, just rinse the basket keep the media soaked in tank water and clean the sponges. Works a treat

What's the media I'm new to canister filters and thanks for the advice

My filter schedule is by flow, not time. I wait until seeing a noticeable reduction in flow rate. One is on 72 days right now, and looking to be a good candidate for the once-over any time now...

I'll second this. When flow starts to become restricted I crack it open and clean it up.

I'll second this. When flow starts to become restricted I crack it open and clean it up.

I can only imagine that if flow is impeded the motor is working harder to move the water. I wonder if this shortens the life of the filter over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree so should I clean them once a month it's a large tank with two 100 gallon filters I only have small fish and only feeding flakes with bottom feeders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The media is the sponge , bio media...IE: ceramic rings Matrix rock , etc , anything inside the filter .

I use seachem matrix in both with coarse and fine sponge, few bio noodles and think one has zeolite in it? Mostly just matrix tho as I keep big fish with high bio load

I can only imagine that if flow is impeded the motor is working harder to move the water. I wonder if this shortens the life of the filter over time?
No, considering most common pumps of the aquarium filter type are magneto-suspension impeller designs. Remaining energized, they will sit there spinning away pumping nothing forever, even with the filter completely clogged.

So that one canister of mine is now at 76 days and going strong. Thought maybe there was a telltale cloudiness starting last week, which might have been attributed to the filter. Cleared up now, and saw good flow still at water change this morning.

I have a fluval 305, haven't cleaned it in over 7 months. the only thing I keep in it is the cheap walmart scrubbies. Purely mechanical and biological filter only. I go by flow rate also.

I'm convinced flow rate is the only smart way to do it. The environment dictates filter load rate and all environments are different to some extent. For example, my 20gal feeder tank starts to slow the Hydor 30 rated for up to 120 gallons after 2 months. That's a filter over-spec'd for the application by at least a factor of 5. OTOH, a Marineland C-530 rated for 150 gal is under-spec'd on the 190 tank, yet seems to run forever.

There's no scheduled interval to account for these variables. Changing or cleaning filters before they are due is simply a waste of time and effort. Some people don't realize that filters actually filter better the longer they stay in service, right up to the point where their flow rate no longer meets the requirement - whatever that may be.

There's no scheduled interval to account for these variables. Changing or cleaning filters before they are due is simply a waste of time and effort. Some people don't realize that filters actually filter better the longer they stay in service, right up to the point where their flow rate no longer meets the requirement - whatever that may be.

I agree. Most of my filters are set up mainly for biological filtration only and I only clean the filters when flow rate drops down a good amount.

Thank you for the info I have had my 2 100 gallon canister filters going for about three weeks now and the flow is still very good and the tank is crystal clear

The only problem I am having now other than the ick I just had to get rid of is that some of my smaller fish are coming up missing I have one large fish which is a channel cat fish about 7 inches long in with tetras and rainbows

That channel cat will eat ANYTHING it can fit in it's mouth...lol

Definitely the catfish is eating them at night since it's nocturnal and everyone else isn't. Easy pickins'

Back
Top Bottom