Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Very nice setup.

What do you use for lighting?
Thanks !

I am liking the Beamsworks DA FSPEC the most now.
I really like the fluval 2.0 planted but they are pricey. I have 2 One on the 29 in the wall and the other on the EBR in the middle of the room 40b
I have had 1 out of my 3 finnex 24/7 crap out ,but maybe it just the cheap power switcher[transformer] ?
I also have 'reef bars' in the 48" 8,000k running the 48 inch set ups like the 60/60/80 and the 15/20 rack. The tops of both of those setups are run on Beamsworks 48 " now...
Besides the Fluvals that have built in dimmers I run a cheap $4.99 dimmer I found on Ebay to all my lights .It fits and works with all of my lights .It is nice to able to dim a tank to what ever you like.
Here is the dimmer link;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5A-Swit...97.m4902.l9144

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here's something special !
Very first pictures of any kind of my F1 pairs from my male EBR and female GBR.I am calling them Red rams..What do you guys think?
They either have eggs or fry..All three pairs ! They were hatched 6/6 like it says on the tank and this is the first time I have photod them at all.They share a 5.5 gallon tank right now but soon will each be upgraded to separate tanks.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Holy crap Batman! I love those. That male on the right is a boss!!!
Old 11-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just posted pictures of my green spotted swordtails in the classifieds.I got them from my buddy ApistoShane in Oregon.
These are some handsome fish for sure.

Here are some juvenile that I am selling.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haven't seen Swordtails like that. Very nice.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Haven't seen Swordtails like that. Very nice.
These are presumed to be the 'grass roots' so to speak of swordtails.
There are several wild type swords but the green sword is what when bred with platies give us so many of the colors we commonly enjoy..I have half a brain [ on good days] to take females from these when I know I can sex them and try to breed them with my yellow high fin platies[next to get pics maybe? ]. The platies also are great parents and stunning so the combo in long term breeding could be original.
On the black spots in wild fish they are common but in aquariums often left uncontrolled by proper outbreeding the black can become melanoma..Like people get ! Same with my Jet Blacks.My understanding is to keep the fish healthy not breeding fish with spots in the fins is important as the melanoma can first show/grow in fins...
These guys like my Jet Blacks are 100% melanoma free so far !
When I created my own 'sanke/showa' swords I did not know anything on this and in my 3 years of mixing colors to get my own showa I brought out melanoma in about 5% of my fry.
Several colleges in the US use swordtails to study melanoma .
Old 11-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought i had a pretty good working knowledge regarding most fish discussed on AA. That info was all new to me. Thanks Bandit.
Have you ever considered breeding Red Texas Cichlids.Typically it's Green Texas male x Blood Parrott or Red Devil female, then breed select growouts back with a Green Texas. The quality built unfaded juveniles sell for 30 bucks a peice. The faded juvs. Start at 50 bucks and the master piece reds sell for 100 bucks and up. I understand successfully breeding them is very difficult, which explains the big price tag, but I bet you could pull it off.
I recently acquired a pair of Red Texas juveniles as well as three "Rapps" Green Texas Carpintus juveniles. I'm going to raise them together and see where it goes. Red Texas males are usually sterile so success not likely. The female unfaded Red "I think" exhibits Blood Parrot head traits with a green Texas body type. The male is going to be a fader, and was probably mixed with a Red Devil. Got a bad attitude for a 2" fish. Both are beautiful fish.
Just a thought.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

@v227. How big do these guys get?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The short body Green Texas / Blood Parrot variety, maybe 6" - 8". The Green Texas / Red Devil
variety, 8" - 1'. There is a Breeder named " Dan " on YouTube, title "Your fish keeper friend" has a lot of information reference breeding Red Texas Cichlids and keeping aggressive cichlid tanks in general. I think Dan is a fellow Oklahoman. He has a series of very interesting YouTubes worth watching.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is really cool. I like the red rams a lot You really are living my dream there, bandit maybe someday Iíll have a greenhouse and a cool rack setup

Tacit Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com