coralbandits fish room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got a group of three 33 longs and 10 tens to add to my current tanks.

Excited to expand a bit. More fish, more rearing of fry!

Happy to see so much going for you... what is your next breeding project going to be? I really want to see someone producing some of the other wild type livebearers... I can't find any! Pygmy swordtails are the number one thing on my list right now.

Ok eggs from the Apisto bitaeniata just moments ago.

On top of that a pair of GBR and EBR are laying eggs ATM...
Score from outside the fish room today is Manzanita wood and pothos plants.

The wood was too big for the 29 so I made one cut and worked it out.
The plants will go in Marina breeder boxes.2 large and 1 small;

And a couple pics of EBA fry

Hoping video loading is decent,I can never tell!

Wow! I might need to play steely dan for some of mine?

Just got a group of three 33 longs and 10 tens to add to my current tanks.

Excited to expand a bit. More fish, more rearing of fry!

Happy to see so much going for you... what is your next breeding project going to be? I really want to see someone producing some of the other wild type livebearers... I can't find any! Pygmy swordtails are the number one thing on my list right now.
I had one type of pygmy swords.
They did breed but this sp. did not grow swords so they were kind of plane.
I got them from a great connection in Florida that has history and fish from Texas University fish room with his documentation of collection points.I'll get you his info and keep my eye out for pygmies.
For me the wild kribs are an important project along with the new rams I am creating.But like you I want some different live bearers besides my fancy swords..I could not resist the Red Picta when I saw them and being from Hawaii and not available anywhere else that I know of I could not resist bringing them east.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...fTXAhUKKyYKHYCnBaEQMwhWKBIwEg&iact=mrc&uact=8
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...fTXAhUKKyYKHYCnBaEQMwhFKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8
Not my pics but 2 males are starting to color for me !:D

hard to catch the kribs?

I stole them in their cave when they became wigglers.
Had to scoop the male out of the Dip and Pour with my hand ,but no real trouble.He was MAD!
I try at all cost not to move fry.They are just to delicate to handle safely.I pull parents if I really want fry that are with parents ,but will syphon them out if they are not super special.

WOW.. bitaeniata female is looking great. Moliwe fry looking great also... they grow fast.

Excited to see where you go with them.

Keep me in mind when you begin selling the picta, those are exactly the type of thing I am looking for... I also have P. obscura if you are interested in expanding to the small endler types.

Awesome video! Those 33 gallon tanks are something I really like

All that on one 15 amp circuit?

Awesome video! Those 33 gallon tanks are something I really like

All that on one 15 amp circuit?

2 circuits for all.
The 33s are 60s and an 80 on the bottom.
The 3 are 4'X2' with a depth of 12 and 16 inches aprox.
They are Deep blue reef/frag tanks ,but they say breeder to me !
Has anyone seen the new Deep Blue Terra tanks?
They have 5 /10/ and 15g tanks in some crazy foot prints[like the 60/80]..
5 g is 16"X8"x6" ,10g is 20"x10" x6" and the 15 is 24" x12" x6"
All 6" deep with good sized foot prints...

My LFS right now has a weird frag tank for sale that I think is 6” deep but 55 gallons? It would be super cool to do like a giant cory colony or something with plants coming out all over the place but man you’d have to build a house specifically with the tank in mind in order to fit it!

Stocking is more related to foot print and surface area then volume IMO so I love the low tanks.
My 120 was so hard to service compared to working on 2 @ 60...And it only had the same surface area of the 60 or the 80...

Oh yeah, I'm loving my new 40 breeder. That 4" lower than the 45 gallon tank makes a disproportionately big difference in ease of use.

So with 30+ years experience I am not unlike all of you..
The hatchet fish have ich ! Even though this is my only real planted tank and I have the Orange Laser cories [scaleless fish] in the tank with them , I have dosed the tank with rid ich plus.
I added the proper dose for a 1/2 full 29g saw that the color just wasn't there and added an extra 1/2 dose.The meds can be absorbed or rendered useless with organics in the water so new wood ,plants and crap that I am sure is in the sub and I had no hesitation in dosing more last night.Dosed full strength again this am just to keep color up.The fish show no signs of change.It is just ich but , "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT OR IT WILL KILL YOUR FISH"..I am putting forth solid effort to kill and not let it win.I will probably water change and dose again tonight...3 doses in 2 days..Maybe if I get it quick the meds won't mess the tank up too bad ...

On to the good news I now have eggs or wigglers in every one of the 10 pairs of rams with that little balloon male out sprinting others by doing his part for a second set of eggs in 7 days[ the female gets credit also!].The wigglers from their 12/1 spawn may become free swimmers today .This was a really quick second round for a first timer IMO...
The PTM fry are happy in their new 5g and eating GP100-300 micron along with BBS.
Out of room already [again] and have next phase fish room revamp already planned !
This one may take some time but....:whistle:

Don't let it get you down bandit. It doesn't matter how experienced and skilled someone is, life happens, sooner or later Ick or Oodinium strikes. Recently It seems that a lot of regular members are having outbreaks, including me, Oodinium.
Got my situation under control using "Coppersafe" but not before losing several prized fish.

Still treating with almost double doses of rid ich.I also added a touch of potassium permanganate as I have it and understand its use.I feel more confident with the added PP.
Platinum angels tried to trick me and laid eggs on both sides of anubias plant leave.. Leave has been removed but I am not convinced the female didn't trick the male.
Eggs look questionable ?
Got wigglers from the bitaeniata and the PTM are still happy in their 5g..
Going to swap meet today at LFS [my #1] and hoping to get rid of all my nebula guppies and a few other fish...No trailer so no tanks or equipment go with me ..I will just have to sit on this 'extra fish room' worth of equipment ....:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom