Daylight/Moonlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ice Man

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just built led moonlight for my 25g fw community tank. So far I got one dwarf gourami, 4 ornate tetras, 2 bandit corys, 3 otos. Tanks has been up and running for about 2 months now.

This was my first time building such a thing. I bought 120 degree LEDs to avoid spot light effect. I was going to attach it to a shelf above the tank (7 inches above) but LED light is not strong enough to penetrate 21 inch water column all the way down. At least it did not give me the effect I was looking for. So right now it is just resting on top of the tank.

very nice set up. if you don't mind me asking how much did the set up cost and how hard would it be to DYI.

very nice set up. if you don't mind me asking how much did the set up cost and how hard would it be to DYI.

I spent maybe $8 all together and some time. I will explain everything better when I have more time. :fish2:

I started by doing some research - blogs, youtube etc...
There is few helpful web sites. First I started from finding source of power, in my case old cell phone charger. Knowing this ahead of time will determine what type of resistors are needed. This web site LED series parallel array wizard is an array wizard. Without it I would not be able to do it.
Then I purchased LEDs and resistors from besthongkong Blue LED - 120 Degree Clear Wide (Spread) Angle LED
this is link to LEDs I got. They are blue 120 degree spread angle clear led. Wide angle is important to avoid "spot effect" in your tank. Now I know that 120 degree is maybe a bit too wide, 70 degree would be just fine.
All is left is some wire (thin speaker wire will work good), electric tape, soldering gun and hot glue gun.
This is guide with a lot of useful info
DIY LED Moonlight Guide

Good luck.

Looks awesome!!! I personally like my moonlight effect just a little darker. But that's just me. Looks amazing! :)

Cool. I just bought a 12v adapter and car led strips online about $15 but much less work

I am getting a new hood soon w two built in moon light leds wonder if they will be enough to light it up at night? I really want to see what is going on in there at night!

Convict2161 said:
Looks awesome!!! I personally like my moonlight effect just a little darker. But that's just me. Looks amazing! :)

Mine is quite dark. I used tripod and long exposure to take this picture so it looks a bit brighter then it really is.

Ibrahim said:
Cool this is mines

Is that 5gallon tank? Nice!
I was looking to buy something that is ready to install like car's LEDs but recently I feel like building everything from scratches. I hope this phase will go away soon as my manual skills are not so good.

Ice Man said:
Is that 5gallon tank? Nice!
I was looking to buy something that is ready to install like car's LEDs but recently I feel like building everything from scratches. I hope this phase will go away soon as my manual skills are not so good.

Yep thanks.

Back
Top Bottom