Des's 60 Gallon Aquarium of Awesomeness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay I picked up this bad boy today. Pet's Mart had an awesome deal. This is my first big tank for myself so I am pretty excited. Unfortunately I can't afford to pick up everything it needs for a couple of weeks.

Current Plan:
1 Pleco that I have in another tank.
A bunch of Denison barbs
maybe a lobster of some kind
Live plants, most likely amazon swords, maybe anubias, and I am open to other options.
Driftwood for sure, maybe a big rock as well.
I wanna try sand as the substrate as I have never used it before.

Attachments

• FW 60G Day 1.jpg
    FW 60G Day 1.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 154
Thin Val's are the grass plants at the back..
Wrong picture but u get the idea

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447721730.278692.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447721730.278692.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 161
Picked up the sand today. At the store it was called Black Beauty. The guy said its from a local quarry that they crush into sand. Looks nice and is a little sparkly.

img_3313293_1_05f4ca601787ce29f02793882334f8ca.jpg
[/URL]

Cleaning the sand sucks lol, i was at it for like 3-4hrs and it was still a bit cloudy. Cleared in a few hours though. I just started stocking my 60 today :eek:

I found if i took the head off the hose put the end in a decent size bucket, pour the substrate in on top and sat the bucket in a position so that the water can flow down a drain, all i had to do was turn the hose on and shuffle it around every 5 mins or so, i had 20kgs cleaned in about 25 minutes, im all about minimising effort

This is coming along nicely!

Why not use the rain to your advantage and have it clean the sand for you? You know, put the sand in a shallow container, leave it out, rain should fill up soon and then wash all the gunk out......doesn't cost you anything and all yu have to do is put the sand in the container.

Back
Top Bottom