Do guppies make good tank mates for Bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gamehound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently received a small male betta from a friend. My friend had been keeping it in one of those awful betta cubes, and I wanted to give it an cleaner and larger environment. Sadly, all I have at the moment that will do is a tank containing 5 guppies, 1 male 4 female.
Would my betta get along with these other fish? It would be a temporary setup until a get him his own tank.

I've had very good luck with Bettas in communities. However, I've avoided putting them with anything resembling another Betta. It may be a little risky with guppies. Maybe try it and have a back up plan ready. Glad you are helping him out!

@Hholly Thanks I'll try him in there with them for a bit and observe how he reacts. If he doesn't do so well then he may have to stay in the cube until the weekend :(

Also, can multiple female bettas be housed together? I know males can't be, but can you have 2 or 3 females together without problems?

I would not try to place him together with the guppies... They will be bullied by your new betta. I came across a website the other day that listed down some suitable tank mates for betta fish. I hope you will find the information there useful. Yes, you may put your female bettas together if you choose to do so. They are relatively mild and not so territorial compared to the male bettas.

Female bettas are recommended in a sorority set up of five gallons or more per betta, and a minimum of six bettas. This is considered helpful for spreading out aggression. Also, breaking up line of sight and territory can help. They are all individuals, so results vary. Aggression increases with age...so younger is better...and peace may change later.

Alot depends on each individual betta's personality. Some go after anything bright colored as it reminds them of other male bettas. The male guppy would be the target if he gets aggressive. Also if you have alot of plants this can help by giving fish places to get away from each other. As for female soroties Coryfan is right on, but seriously they need to be in a heavily planted tank and all females introduced at the same time. Don't try adding them one at a time. In the beginning aggression is more pronouced but will usually settle down pretty quickly.

Thank you all for the helpful tips. I've decided to leave the betta in the cube until I can pick up a tank for him this weekend, and doing daily water changes. I'll post again once I've got the little guy set up in his new home.

Alright, I went out and bought a 5 gal tank for the little guy (decided to name him Lugia) and I also bought a small female betta.
I used some water from an already cycled tank that houses another betta and fresh water to fill the tank up with, then I've let it run from Sunday until yesterday.
I introduced both fish at the same time, and the male has been flaring up at the female all day yesterday and today whenever they meet. There is plenty of space in the tank, and lots of live plants and decor for cover, but I can tell the female is very stressed.
Will the male ease up and accept her after a while? Or will I have to move the female out of the tank?

Alright, I went out and bought a 5 gal tank for the little guy (decided to name him Lugia) and I also bought a small female betta.
I used some water from an already cycled tank that houses another betta and fresh water to fill the tank up with, then I've let it run from Sunday until yesterday.
I introduced both fish at the same time, and the male has been flaring up at the female all day yesterday and today whenever they meet. There is plenty of space in the tank, and lots of live plants and decor for cover, but I can tell the female is very stressed.
Will the male ease up and accept her after a while? Or will I have to move the female out of the tank?

Your definitely going to have to move the female. It's never a good idea to put a male and female together permanently or for any longer than it would take to go through the breeding process when that's what's planned. Or he will stress her or attack her to death.

Back
Top Bottom