Does angels and koi fish mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j0el1212

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-4090154745.jpg

I started wit a koi for some weird reason and now I'm in love with angelfishes and have since filled my tank with all types of angels. I don't know what to do with him and my koi is getting huge. Only have a 45 gallon right now in the process of upgrading to a 75 gallon imbedded into my living room wall starting the project today.

I don't know that even 75 is big enough for koi. And unlike Angels, they are a pond fish. I'd wait until someone more experience writes, but I don't think this works.

They can do fine in the same tank if its big enough. But i dont think that tank is big enough. Koi get humongous. Id see how much money you could get for him.

zacheyp said:
make it a saltwater build!!

I have no knowledge of salt water tanks and I'm really scare to get into it. It's funny u said that someone just gave me a trickle filter model 75 with bio balls also everything I think need to start it up but I'm still on the fence. Might just sell it away for a good price.

I see you are relatively new to the site, so welcome!
I am not a koi expert by any means, but I think you are going to run into a space issue. Congrats on the upgrade though!
What temperature do you keep your tank at? And what all is stocked in it? Do you plan to keep the 45 up and runninng after the 75 is done?

tarpon said:
They can do fine in the same tank if its big enough. But i dont think that tank is big enough. Koi get humongous. Id see how much money you could get for him.

I know but I can't lie I'm kinda attach lol

swankyspoon said:
I don't know that even 75 is big enough for koi. And unlike Angels, they are a pond fish. I'd wait until someone more experience writes, but I don't think this works.

Yea I know I dont know what I was thinking it don't help that I'm kinda attach too lol

View attachment 59061

I started wit a koi for some weird reason and now I'm in love with angelfishes and have since filled my tank with all types of angels. I don't know what to do with him and my koi is getting huge. Only have a 45 gallon right now in the process of upgrading to a 75 gallon imbedded into my living room wall starting the project today.
Hi Joel. Your best bet would be to move/rehome the koi to a pond and then make a stocking plan for the tank, either one of those would work for a couple of angelfish as well as tankmates, but not with the koi in there.

absolutangel04 said:
I see you are relatively new to the site, so welcome!
I am not a koi expert by any means, but I think you are going to run into a space issue. Congrats on the upgrade though!
What temperature do you keep your tank at? And what all is stocked in it? Do you plan to keep the 45 up and runninng after the 75 is done?

Thanks I'm the new kid on the block. This is beyond kool. But I keep my temp 80-85 I have 2 marbles angels 2 blk lace angels 2 blue angels 1 kio angel planning on get 1 more they are very active. Also the koi fish and 1 pleco. I'm still on the fence on weather keeping the 45g but might for a breeder tank.

Welcome aboard. I don't want to be a downer, and I am no Koi expert at all, but they can get to be over 3 feet long. A 75 gallon tank is only 4 feet long and 1.5 feet wide. While angels can thrive in a 75, I am seriously doubting the koi can. I hope some koi experts will join in.

I have no knowledge of salt water tanks and I'm really scare to get into it. It's funny u said that someone just gave me a trickle filter model 75 with bio balls also everything I think need to start it up but I'm still on the fence. Might just sell it away for a good price.

dont sell it, go saltwater, 3 months ago all i knew is nemo and dory are saltwater fish, now i have a thriving reef

zacheyp said:
dont sell it, go saltwater, 3 months ago all i knew is nemo and dory are saltwater fish, now i have a thriving reef

It's very temping the beauty of it I think I might just need someone to school me on it more I know once I gain the knowledge I will be addicted. I'll look more into before I decide.

swankyspoon said:
Welcome aboard. I don't want to be a downer, and I am no Koi expert at all, but they can get to be over 3 feet long. A 75 gallon tank is only 4 feet long and 1.5 feet wide. While angels can thrive in a 75, I am seriously doubting the koi can. I hope some koi experts will join in.

Yea I might trade him in at a local pet store I talked to.

jetajockey said:
Hi Joel. Your best bet would be to move/rehome the koi to a pond and then make a stocking plan for the tank, either one of those would work for a couple of angelfish as well as tankmates, but not with the koi in there.

Yea that's what I think I'm going to aim for once I finishing building the 75 gallon into my wall.

swankyspoon said:

Thanks I'll trade him in eventually.

Cool! Always feel free to bounce ideas off people on the site. They are very generous with their knowledge: I have learned a lot. For instance, when I started keeping fish, I kept fish in a 10 g, which needed larger because they were active swimmers (serpae tetra). I kept them against the advice of one of the experienced member (HN1 who seems to be in semi-retirement). The fish never behaved properly, and probably lived about 10 months before they died. This time, I bounced my idea off of the site and have fish (10 days in) that seem happy and active.

swankyspoon said:
Cool! Always feel free to bounce ideas off people on the site. They are very generous with their knowledge: I have learned a lot. For instance, when I started keeping fish, I kept fish in a 10 g, which needed larger because they were active swimmers (serpae tetra). I kept them against the advice of one of the experienced member (HN1 who seems to be in semi-retirement). The fish never behaved properly, and probably lived about 10 months before they died. This time, I bounced my idea off of the site and have fish (10 days in) that seem happy and active.

So cool very excited. I'll keep u guys posted thanks.

j0el1212 said:
Thanks I'm the new kid on the block. This is beyond kool. But I keep my temp 80-85 I have 2 marbles angels 2 blk lace angels 2 blue angels 1 kio angel planning on get 1 more they are very active. Also the koi fish and 1 pleco. I'm still on the fence on weather keeping the 45g but might for a breeder tank.

How can I forget I gorgeous Betta just one. Lol

Back
Top Bottom