Double Bubble Betta Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
We have to remember that rice paddies are not the size of a jar.

Op - have you considered hanging a desk lamp with a cfl over the 'tank'? That way you could grow mosses, ferns and small anubias.

Exactly and rice paddies can be anywhere from a gallon to thousands of gallons( shallow but wide spread)

dakotajoe1 said:
Ok guys I know this isn't the DIY forum and its probably where I should of posted originally but I jus wanted to see what you guys about this? I used a piece of clear 3/4in tubing down the middle and through the bottom. Where it runs into a 2 rubbermaid containers with holes in the bottoms. And pumped and up through the bottom of the tank with a 1 way valve incase power outage. First container will have filter floss/prefilter and second will have carbon or just gravel either or. Any suggestions?

I would go floss and rings or ammonia reducer or something along that line carbon is pretty useless except for removing odor IMO

My comment about rice paddies is more referencing the still, shallow aspect. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

dakotajoe1 said:
Hey does anybody know if this stuff is safe for direct contact with water? I used it to seal the tanks and iv never used it this way. Only on pvc overflow where it most likely didn't even get in the water. I'm just a little nervous about it =/

That looks like a pretty sketchy warning on the front there.. but I have no clue. Have you already used it?

Been following along, seems like a cool idea! As far as the water volume goes, have you thought of building a sump of sorts to increase total water volume?

Yes actually that's what I'm working on now. Ill try to get pics up soon. There is a small sump where the coin colloector used to be. I made a small pump for the return and I just brainstormed a easy 1-way valve for power outages. But ya I also already used the glue. My lfs told me if it wasn't safe they would sell it for us to use on pvc water pipes. But this stuff doesn say anything anywhere about use on water pipes :-\ but its the only stuff they had for pvc. its odorless after cured but I'm still thinking about covering it with either silicone or if it won't stick then hot glue maybe?

dakotajoe1 said:
Yes actually that's what I'm working on now. Ill try to get pics up soon. There is a small sump where the coin colloector used to be. I made a small pump for the return and I just brainstormed a easy 1-way valve for power outages. But ya I also already used the glue. My lfs told me if it wasn't safe they would sell it for us to use on pvc water pipes. But this stuff doesn say anything anywhere about use on water pipes :-\ but its the only stuff they had for pvc. its odorless after cured but I'm still thinking about covering it with either silicone or if it won't stick then hot glue maybe?

PVC cement is fine I used it and I know alot of people that used it on their saltwater sumps

Well this is "multi-purpose cement" and which idk if it makes a difference or not. Here is a picture of my homemade pump (go ahead and laugh but it cost me $6!) I made. I used an old contact case and powerfilter impellor. I needed someting small and cheap and I wanted it today so I built it :) I totally sealed up the motor but I believe it still draws in moisture through the shaft bushing when completely submerged. probably due to heat exchange from the motor. But I think I can minimize it by keeping it above water in the actual machine itself. But I bought a 12-18 volt motor from radioschack and at 12 volts it will shoot water half way across the room! Lol so I think the 4 volt power pack I found should cover both pumps nicely haha

ForumRunner_20120422_173103.jpg

Sorry I didn't notice the last pic not working. But here it is. I am almost finished with the filter system and it seems to be running great. I fashoned a 1-way valve from an old gravel cleaner tube. The only problem is it still leaks. I let it sit for 20 mins with power off and and the sump level raised about a 1/4 inch. So its a slow leak but still a leak. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated thanks!!

ForumRunner_20120424_163230.jpg

ForumRunner_20120424_163259.jpg

ForumRunner_20120424_163316.jpg

ForumRunner_20120424_163337.jpg

ForumRunner_20120424_163402.jpg

Thanks! Its hard finding time to work on it but I finally have one almost done. I'm thinking about putting a blue led in the OF tube to make it stand out more. I'm working on a way no make the water spiral as it runs down the tube too. Should be neat.

Back
Top Bottom