Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
meet Franny 2 and Seymour...George is camera shy, probably off hunting snails :roll:

img_733081_0_7b4f1753bf2a13b17de4f77676598622.jpg

WaterPond said:
their looking awfully skinny. Good pic though
They shouldent be that jellybean shape.
Here is what they should look like
img_733527_0_b238be63e6bb5a2ece2e04e3f9e2ec99.jpg

Are you treating for IPs??
should i be...the two in the pictur i just picked up from petsmart tuesday and pic was tanked wednesday..the other one that i have dad for almost two weeks not is much rounder

WaterPond said:
yes, they should be plump. Have you seen them poo?
i have seen a lot of poo, but not its source, could be oto poo... how would i best treat internal parasites in a DP any suggestions?

EDIT: they are not good with eating frozen bloodworms for me, they pick, but not much...:?

could the bloodworms they do eat give them parasites... my angel might have internal parasites, they get the excess bloodworms i thaw... 8O :? :cry:

For what it's worth......I've had my puffers for 8 months and not once have I seen them poo.

But JDogg is right........they are on the skinny side.
It wouldn't hurt to treat them......to be on the safe side.

If you decide not to treat them then the next best thing would be to load the tank up with as many snails as you can get your hands on.
Mine love pond snails the most.

gel tek works well (so i hear)

You just soak the DP's food in it and then feed it to them. Pretty simple.

I have heard that this stuff can kill plants though.

If you ever see the puffers pooping white poo then they almost definately have IPs.

It is just that most puffers come with IPs, mine luckily didnt, but he was still very skinny. Yours might just be a little underfed.

Here is hampster when i first got him, see how skinny he is compared to his recent picture
img_733805_0_63eb1f4ca8e80095eff6bf3450788636.jpg

I would check with the good people at www.dwarfpuffers.com for some more advice. Many of them have more experience than me. I think you are already a member of the forum there.

Atl300zx said:
how large are the snails they eat?
i keep a few adult ramshorn snails in the tank with my DP and i have seen the DP eat the newly hatched snails when they lay eggs. from time to time an adult snail (~1/2 inch diameter) will disapear from its shell, i am not sure if it is the DP eating them or my sumo loaches :?

Back
Top Bottom