ericwithac & erin.k's 55g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Very excited about getting our new tank going! We will continually update this thread as we add fish, plants and more accessories!

Tank
55g MarineLand Aquarium

Filter
Sun Sun HW302 Canister Filter (Purigen, Ceramic, Filter Pad)
MarineLand Penguin 350B Filter

Wave Maker
800 GPH Submersible Wave Maker

Heater
Fluval 200L Heater

CO2
Milwaukee CO2 Regualtor w/ Bubble Counter
ISTA Max Mix CO2 Reactor

Lights
4x MarineLand LED Bars
Custom 4-Place Light Bar Holder

Substrate
Eco-Complete Substrate (60lb)

Accessories
Python No-Spill Water Changer
FishMate Automatic Fish Feeder
API Master Test Kit

More to come!

Following. Love new builds. Curious on how the ISTA CO2 reactor works for you. And the sun sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's about time man:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am interested to see how the Milwaukee regulator works for you. How are you measuring CO2 by the way?

I have a question, why do you need a wave maker in a planted tank?

Following, this is going to be fun haha

I have a question, why do you need a wave maker in a planted tank?

Following, this is going to be fun haha

Probably meant power head, used for flow and fert distribution.

Idk, I think a wave maker could be useful as long at it does not disrupt the surface. It should promote decent flow and reduce dead spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im honestly not sure, still new to this. I have the API Master Test kit. I was planning on doing 2 BPS as that seems to be what most people are using. Is there a better way I should be measuring how much CO2 will go into the Reactor and into the tank?

I run 2 bps in my 5.5 gal tank, almost 7 in my 30. Kh is a bit low so it takes a little more gas to reach appropriate saturation.. one must read lots and lots and lots on this stuff..

Ah, see every tank is different. Different lighting, plants, bio-load, etc., etc. etc.. I would suggest periodic measuring with a PH kit so that you do not "GAS" your fish. The most desired way, and most expensive is to get a PH controller. This automatically controls the PH for you. (I go for 6.8, some go for 7.0)

Me, I work a lot. So I use a drop checker. Now there are those that hate drop checkers and that is fine, but I adjusted my CO2 up very slowly. The reason is because I check the drop checker when I get home from work. It took me about a month of gradual increases to get to 5 BPS. (You will need 4dKH solution and PH indicator solution)

Or you can manually measure the PH periodically.

For more information, read What Darkblade48 says in this post. He can explain this in much more detail than I. Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share.

Ah, see every tank is different. Different lighting, plants, bio-load, etc., etc. etc.. I would suggest periodic measuring with a PH kit so that you do not "GAS" your fish. The most desired way, and most expensive is to get a PH controller. This automatically controls the PH for you. (I go for 6.8, some go for 7.0)

Me, I work a lot. So I use a drop checker. Now there are those that hate drop checkers and that is fine, but I adjusted my CO2 up very slowly. The reason is because I check the drop checker when I get home from work. It took me about a month of gradual increases to get to 5 BPS. (You will need 4dKH solution and PH indicator solution)

Or you can manually measure the PH periodically.

For more information, read What Darkblade48 says in this post. He can explain this in much more detail than I. Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share.

What would you recommend? It sounds pretty complicated with the drop checker method...Even after reading that article im still pretty confused.

Thinking this would work. Sounds like I am trying to achieve 30ppm CO2 in my tank as thats the "standard" amount for most planted tanks.

Oh yeah...that will work. GLA is gonna love you for shelling out $50 for a drop checker. I bought a chinese knock-off on Flea-Bay for $5. I made my own 4dKH solution.

You can try Amazon also for a DC and 4dKH solution.

Back
Top Bottom