Ever seen an angelfish turn blue?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My angelfish's bottom fin turned blue. It's pretty, but I'm a tad worried. The tank was just treated for hole-in-the-head/hexamita. They seem much better, but I'm afraid this might be a secondary fungal infection? If I should worry, someone let me know.

Attachments

• image-1392069540.jpg
    image-1392069540.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 379
Thanks. I've been to hell and back with these angels! They've been sick, over-medicated, and are still here. I'd like to keep it that way. One of the others has a pin-hole in his top fin. This one is turning blue. I pray it is the blue gene, but the fact that the other has possible fin rot scares me. I'm done with putting chemicals in my tank, but I am wondering if there is too much organic waste in there. There are little particles all over the tank. I won't jump to do anything (after my medication debacles), but I do hope my beautiful fishes fin is not deteriorating!

Well, I did too many water changes in the beginning, during cycling. Then I stupidly added a fish that brought parasite and bacterial problems. I tried parasite guard while waiting for metro laced food I purchased online. By the time I got the food, I was down to the three angels I have now, and they were in bad shape. I gave them anti-parasite and metro food for 5 days, and used a metro/furan2/kanaplex combo in the water. The little one stopped eating for 4 days, his mouth turned clear and stayed open, and I thought he was done. I have done way too much messing with their water. Trying to get the ph lower, (all the stupid newbie mistakes). I have now used dr. Tim's one and only to cycle a 55 gallon tank. I used 1/4 distilled, 1/4 store bought RO, and 1/2 tap. I have driftwood and blackwater extract in there. Now I'm afraid to put silver over there (if the blue is something bad). So, I have done nothing this week (except test the water to make sure no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates). Once I put them in the bigger tank, I will do daily testing this month, and only change water if there's a problem. Then, I plan to do bi-weekly gravel-vac water changes. So, should I put her in? Or use different fish?

I'm not really sure I understand your question completely, but I think maybe I would just try to give the fish some consistency. Throwing them too many curve balls may do more harm than good. I guess if the new tank had the same pentameters and you wanted to move it, it would be ok. Make sure ph & temp are identical, or you will need to acclimate it like you did when you first got it. Hope this helps. And remember - it's not a mistake if you learn from it. I have killed plenty of fish in my day. It happens. Progress not perfection!

Thanks everyone! I made sure everything was the same. I will try to post pics later (after I move silver over!)

Blue is actually a natural underlying color so not to worry. Fungus is white on fish so yours does not have a fungus infection.
Get into the habit of doing weekly smaller water changes(10%-15%) and you will have less problems in the long run. Make sure you only vac a portion of the gravel once a month or so (if you have a smaller amount of fish waste being produced) so as not to disrupt the biological filter. I try not to do more than 20%-25% of the footprint at each vaccuming. By not doing it at every water change, you give the bacteria bed a chance to recoup before you clean another section.

Hope this helps

Thanks! Am I supposed to be doing water changes on my 55g cycled with dr Tim's? I was told to wait 4 weeks....I wish I knew how to link threads!!!! I'm starting a new one regarding this and cloudy water....can you get to it from my profile?

Thanks! Am I supposed to be doing water changes on my 55g cycled with dr Tim's? I was told to wait 4 weeks....I wish I knew how to link threads!!!! I'm starting a new one regarding this and cloudy water....can you get to it from my profile?

Sure. Whenever you decide to post them

How old / what size is the fish? I am trying to figure out how long it takes for them to show color. They have some 3" pinoys @ my lfs that still haven't turned blue.

I did post a thread....under tank startup. Basically: I cycled 55g with dr Tim's. Conditioned with prime, mixed 1/4 tap (extremely hard), 1/4 distilled, and 1/2 RO. I let the water sit with air stones for 2 days. Added dr. Tim's, then added fish 12 hours later (5 adolescent angelfish - 1.5 inches each), 2 blue rams (slightly under 1 inch), and 1 bala shark - 2"). I test twice a day. I never saw ammonia. After 3 days, I saw .25 nitrites. When I still showed .25 nitrites after 40 hours, I added a 20g dose of birospira. The nitrites were gone in the morning, nitrates are under 20, and have remained this way for 6 days. I have driftwood (barely scrubbed to help soften the water), an aqua clear 300 filter with sponge/carbon/bio-rings inserts, and fake plants/decorations. My first question is about kh/gh/ph. I started with gh -9, kh-8, ph-7.6ish. The gh has only gone down to 8. The ph (according to live meter hasn't changed. However, the kh dropped to 5, and is now back at 7 (not drastically...over the 2 weeks. So, why is my kh doing this? Second question: all of a sudden, 3 days ago, my water got cloudy. It has gotten progressively worse. As I stated, the tests have not showed any changes in ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. I have not changed any water yet, as I was instructed not to touch the water for 4 weeks so the one and only would completely work. I have has to add water, due to evaporation in this hot weather, but I make sure temp/kh/gh match, and condition with prime. So...since the fish seem fine, should I do anything about the cloudy water? It's driving me crazy, but healthy happy fish is the only thing that really matters. The cloudiness is milky white, and probably a bacteria bloom. Will it really just go away on its own? I do have a purigen and 20g whisper filter on hand, but I'm afraid to add it to the tank, because I've never used purigen, and I heard it will suck anything good that the driftwood is doing to soften the water out of the tank! Please advise! Finally, silver is my biggest angelfish (the one who's find are turning blue). I put her in the 55g after the nitrites went down, but had to remove her when she attacked every angelfish in the tank! She's now in a 20g by herself happy as a chum....but still blue! She's a little over 2 inches from mouth to end of tail. And approx 3" from tip of top fin, to tip of bottom. She was about an inch long when I got her, and I've had her about 2 months. I have no idea her age. She used to be the "mommy" of the tank. She would "resue" any small angelfish by swimming in front of the attacking bigger one! Then she would swim with the little one a while, to keep it safe. Now, she's fine with any other species, but she turns sideways and will literally hunt down and attack any angelfish of any size! If you think the blue is something to worry about, as she's not an adult yet, please let me know. Any advice on her behavior is helpful also, as I really wanted her in the big tank! Sorry for the long post. It's very hard to navigate on my phone! I'm trying to post pics now!

I hear that angels are hit and miss as far as aggression goes. Might try a green machine for clearer water.

I think my pics need resized...and I don't know now. Pics are in my profile...album labeled "problems". Can I copy and paste links from utube also? What's a green machine?

Green killing machine. Got mine from petco. Uv sterilizer. Helped clear up my water. Probably does little else, and the are pretty ugly - if that makes sense. I would get the big one for a 55 gallon. It almost looks like fish are floating out of tank when glass is clean. No joke!

It looks to be a Blue smokey eye angelfish. Looks just like my old one that... *sniff* past away. *cries in corner*
Anyways, I think it's normal, but I could be wrong.

lol i got creative one time and was breeding a black female and a male blue and thats what they turned out like .

Back
Top Bottom