Female betta sorority!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flame_fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so i've been informed that theres way of housing female bettas together without an battle to the death? Iwould like to try this!! So does it matter what breeds of females? Or all the same? & the tank size? I heard ten or twenty gallons work best. Any suggestions? & heavily planted or not? I heard with a lot of plants the females will be interrested in those than fighting eachother. Also live food or flakes or does it matter? Help please? Thanks!!

flame_fish said:
Okay, so i've been informed that theres way of housing female bettas together without an battle to the death? Iwould like to try this!! So does it matter what breeds of females? Or all the same? & the tank size? I heard ten or twenty gallons work best. Any suggestions? & heavily planted or not? I heard with a lot of plants the females will be interrested in those than fighting eachother. Also live food or flakes or does it matter? Help please? Thanks!!

I have always heard those female betta sororities end up with one betta left.

Tank size would be a minimum of thirty IMO, heavily planted enough to break lines of sight, and some schoolers just to keep them distracted. When getting Bettas, choose ones that have grown up with each other, if possible.

Be very careful. Usually these end up in disasters with you re-homing all the Bettas. I remember one member on here, siva, talking about how hers didn't work out and ended up moving them all out.

Thank you! But i really don't know any good breeders that I could get the females from :/ but if you were to just guess it, would the chances of having 5-6 female bettas in a 30g tank with a lot of plants & hides be slim and most of the them die or would they be able to live & thrive peacefully with a few nipping of the tails?

from what i've read, 30+ gallons with an odd number of females (idk why) in a very heavily planted tank with other schoolers to distract them would provide the best chance for a successful sorority

That sounds reasonable! & what kind of fish to distract them? I know guppies will get killed but would tetras do? I really don't care for them but what Evers keeps them from killing each other right?

there are many types of fish that fit into a 30+, danios, rasboras, tetras etc.

Back
Top Bottom