Fiddler crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumkeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new here and recently got a ten gallon my friends told me fiddler crabs are good but I don't know anything about them.Please help me

I've never had any, but judging on what some of the big boys here say, you probably need a 10g for a few with the normal set up. The two things are if you have other fish that could eat them, they need caves, and they need access to air. Sloping sand or gravel upwards to make an island is popular, so I read.

What else do I need to know?

Thanks so much for the info but gravel isn't an option. Would a piece of wood that is slanted work or would some plants work so they can climb on it

Hold on, is this tank cycled? If not, read the link in my sig on fishless cycling. Your crabs will need access to land, so gravel or sand are required IMO. the wood could work, but the crabs have to have room to well... Fiddle.

I have had the tank nearly 1 month now. I have been successful before with a 5gallon. But I upgraded because it was too small. Then I bought some neon tetras (6) one platy and a small suckerfish that grows 1inch. And transferred my white cloud mountain minnow. At petsupermarket they are selling fiddler crabs,and crayfish.Which one is best suitable please reply.

Ok, the thing with this setup is that you can't really keep the crabs or crayfish. They are very aggressive, and will more then likely make a meal out of your other fish. If you don't have one already, I strongly suggest you go out and buy the API freshwater master kit, so you can see your parameters.

Agreed. The crabs would not only overstock, but they wouldn't be happy and kill everything.

no,i dont think they would overstock,they have very little bioload.i also disagree that they would kill everything.i had a small feeder goldfish in with mine before they died,but they never tried to kill it.they also never attacked crickets thst i tried to feed them.or ghost shrimp.(the ghost shrimp were tankmates not food).also,they are very delicate ime

I don't see any option here to add crabs. Fiddler crabs need marine salt which your other fish will not be able to tolerate. You would also have to lower your water level to allow some sort of air access for the crabs which would also not work as your current stock list needs that tank filled.

Back
Top Bottom