First 10 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME bettas do best at 80F. I would keep them no lower than 78F.

One of my male bettas will tear up his face trying to eat ramshorns right out of their shells. He would kill an apple snail within a day if I left one with him. He can't handle those long flowing antenna. It is not uncommon for bettas to have issues with snails, and the small ones that they can eat whole can cause bloating and constipation problems. If a betta is going after snails, I keep the snails out of the tank.

These links may help you understand the process your tank is going through, and help you save your fish so they survive it.
The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Maddy! You keep changing your mind, doncha? I thought you wanted to keep apple snails??

I think, but I'm not sure, that my betta has sucked a few nerites out of their shells. I have found a couple empty shells, not sure if the snails died and then were eaten, but I don't think so. But for the most part my betta leaves them alone.

I wouldn't keep a guppy with a betta either. They might get along now, but I wouldn't count on it. Bettas go after fish that look similar to themselves, brightly colored fish with flowing fins. I would guess that some day, unless you have a large tank with lots of hiding places, you are going to wake up to an eaten guppy.

I keep my betta at 80F also, siva. They are in the same tank with ADFs and they all seem to enjoy the warmer temps.

Back
Top Bottom