First tank. 29 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supaoopa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first tank.

29 gal:

Equip:
Penquin 330 HOB
Eheim 2215 canister
Visi-thermal stealth heater 100W
Penquin powerhead w/ prefilter running 3 UGJ's
Aqualight 65 watt PC light strip
3/4 watt moon light LED for night viewing (bitch black night viewing. :p )

WHat it looked like when i first started back in sept. '04.

IMG_2530.sized.jpg

What it looked like a month later. 11-01-2004

IMG_2700.sized.jpg

WHat it looked like last month...

IMG_3047.sized.jpg

THis tank was just moved last week to a new location. WIll post an update when i am happy with the new layout. :)

Comments welcome.

very nice i like it a lot thats what i want the one im saving up for to look like

just out of curiosity

why does your water look so much clearer than mine?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

anyhow very nice, hopefully i can get mine to look like that

Rudy_627 said:
just out of curiosity

why does your water look so much clearer than mine?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Could be because all the water is being completely filtered around 20 times and hour. I est. a flow of 664 gph (on paper) with all the mechanical filtration combined. 8O :lol: But with the buldup and flow restriction of the media attached/in the filter I'm guessing around 500 gph. Its true you don't need this much filtration to get the same results, but for me the more mechanical filtration the better.

I also do a regular 30% water change a week. What kind of weekly maintenance is done to the tank?

Are you only running one filter on your tank? How long has it been running?

Also heavy waste fish like the pleco isn't going to help. He may help clean up the leftover food, but it poops just as much as it eats. :lol:

i do a 30% PWC every friday

i have 1 filter it has been running for 3 1/2 months

what should i do i want to get another filter but i dont have money

and i want to get a biowheel filter

what one do you recommend? either that or i like the fluval 404 or something like that

Couple more questions...

Is the water cloudy or just debri floating around the water column?

If its cloudy, is it cloudy all the time or have you noticed a cycle where its clear then gets cloudy.... then clear.

How often to you rinse off the filter pad in your filter, and are you using carbon (in the filter pad) and leaving it in for more then 3-4 weeks?

Do you also syphon the gravel weekly?

I would recommend a secondary filter either way. It just better to have the extra water circulation and mechanical filtering.

Penquins are great but do make a bit of water noise and the pads can get expensive. If money is an issue just go with an Aquaclear 50 or even 70. THey can be found for fairly cheap online, but start dropping some change in a piggybank or something. :)

here's a good place to shop for filters... Shipping is about $8 for filters under $30.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F28/PgNo/1/Class/Fish+Supplies+Power+Filters/Shopay00.aspx

Rudy_627 said:
i do a 30% PWC every friday

i have 1 filter it has been running for 3 1/2 months

what should i do i want to get another filter but i dont have money

and i want to get a biowheel filter

what one do you recommend? either that or i like the fluval 404 or something like that
i know this thread is about his sweet tank but if u do buy a filter from petsmart or petco take a printout of the online price i saved like 15 bucks on my emperor 280

sweet they will compare prices? yes my water is cloudy all the time, there is no cycle, i just rinsed the pad today, it was nasty lookin i also found a fry in there and it was still alive, i have never changed the AC in the filter pad so it is still in there i syphon the gravel weekly yes. when i vaccume i get on the gravel then the water is clear, i pour the new water in there, and it is only clear for a few minuets, then the dust(lets call it that from the bio bag gets all around again and ruins the clear water

Very beautiful tank! I love it. COngratulations an a great job!

Are those plants real? If so can you please tell me the names of all your plants, maybe with a key code. I am fascinated with the big one at the left! What kind of support have you got for your plants (fertiliser, substrate, supplements, CO2 etc)

BTW, that little stick on water buddy thing that tells you the water quality (yellow for good, green for water change and yellow for trouble) is really bad. it doesn't work. It was yellow when I had an ammonia spike

Back
Top Bottom