Fish wranglers 20L build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got the ok from my dad to have a tank in my room :D This morning I moved my 20L up and am planning on having it be low tech.

Plants: wisteria, java fern, anubias nana petite, ludwigia rubin, amazon sword, and crypt wendetti red are al in right now. I am tossing around the idea of tying some moss to the DW I have in here and seeing how well a staur. repens carpet will grow.

Fish/shrimp: 8 or 9 black skirt tetras(taken from my 29), 6-7 pepper corys, 2 amano shrimp, 4 otos, and a cherry shrimp colony.

Substrate is 1.5" of play sand.
Light is a single T8 NO bulb.
150 watt heater and an AC50 are on here.
I'm planning on painting the back and one side black but that can wait.
Going to use metricide-14 for carbon daily and dose PPSPRO macro's mon, wed, fri; micros tues, thurs, sat with a WC on Sundays.

i have since added 3 staur repens from my 29 DT to the front right side.
The cup was there as a temporary home for my assassin snails until everything was moved.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ha low tech!! Having to remember to dose all those ferts and the met is a lot of work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going to get some extra bottles and nix up new ferts just for this tank. It won't be that bad, when I wake up I walk 8 feet and pout ferts and met in. The 29 is the tank I forget to dose sometimes :hide:

Sounds like you're off to a solid start!

When are you adding the fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to QT a GBR pair in here I'm getting from a fellow member tomorrow. They will stay for a week, then they are out and the 8 black skirts are moving in. After that corys come in and then the shrimp and otos.

Thought of a new plan for this tank. Rams stay for a week, then I add the corys, and a week later the rams go to the 29 and the black skirts move in. I have a 10 gallon I could use to QT the corys, but I don't think my dad will let me keep it around long enough to QT them. He is already on me to get rid of it, 4 tank limit is no fun...

Update for this tank. Black skirt tetras are getting ousted Wednesday. I'm acclimating 5 pepper corys right now, and will hopefully get more when I bring the tetras to my lfs. Not having to worry about trimming plants is really nice too, I can see why some people switched over.

No mas black skirts :)
Added 3 more pepper corys from a different lfs so now the total school is up to 8.
I also found a steal on CPD, under $2!! They were labled Pearl Danios, but the lfs owner looked at a CPD picture and said they were the same. If they are the same I'm loading up on CPD :D
The lfs I got the 3 corys from is also where I will get cherry shrimp eventually

Pearls and CPD's are completely different fish. If they are for mislabeled CPD's I'd buy every one they have on hand personally!

Jesse

I've heard cpds are skiddish and hide?

I believe for the most part yes. However, I purchased some juvenile CPDs and they did not hide at all (except during water changes). In time, the existing older CPDs that were notorious for hiding started to spend more time in the open water. Same goes for the ember tetras that were skidding as well.

Added some new plants and new fauna since the last update. Bacopa carolinia, 1 amano shrimp, and 2 cherry shrimp. I was at an lfs today for a light, and decided to get the shrimp. I had one cherry die during acclimation, and the lfs is going to replace it when I'm in next. I also found out I have 11 baby assassin snails and 2 adult assassins in here. Might bring the adults into my normal lfs for some store credit tomorrow, and give some MTS I'm getting from poppa a better chance. I'll get a picture up later today, might even do a quick vid

Made some changes to this tank. Moved the ludwigia to the other side of the java fern and added rotala rotundifolia in its place.
I think I lost a cory as I can only find 7 at the same time.
All of the shrimp are also MIA, I saw one when I planted the rotala last week but haven't seen any since.
This tank has turned into a NPT (naturally planted tank), I haven't seen any bad effects from doing this change either. Even the plants from my 29 are doing good, just growing much slower.
I haven't added any more fish, and probably won't for a while. Switching jobs and want to focus on work and my two DT before this one.

Train is changing tracks again with this tank. I'm going to dirt it! I'm going to use a 20T to house the corys for a while until the dirt does its thing with ammonia, etc.
I'm also going to go crypt heavy. Driftwood is getting pulled and Im going to be looking for a bunch of crypt species for add. The wisteria and ludwigia red will get tossed
I also want to see if I can have my dad rig up the hood for a 24" t5ho as opposed to the t8no. I know he has all the parts it will be just getting it done.

Train is changing tracks again with this tank. I'm going to dirt it! I'm going to use a 20T to house the corys for a while until the dirt does its thing with ammonia, etc.
I'm also going to go crypt heavy. Driftwood is getting pulled and Im going to be looking for a bunch of crypt species for add. The wisteria and ludwigia red will get tossed
I also want to see if I can have my dad rig up the hood for a 24" t5ho as opposed to the t8no. I know he has all the parts it will be just getting it done.

Now we're talking! Can't beat a bit of dirt provided it is chemical free. FYI I didn't see any ammonia spikes in my 46 but I had established media and packed it out with plants.

What soil are you thinking of of using and why soil?

I also have a Dirted 20L (pic to follow) I have shrimp and snails. Plants (especially the swords) are thriving under a Tin pot LED. If you stick to the T8 you won't need to use co2 or ferts. My Dirted receives no extra fertilisation other than the soil, fish food and fauna. I have DHG that is sprouting new shoots from the soil bed ill show you.

Back
Top Bottom