FishyMamma’s 130g tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
IMG_3633.jpg
I got this tank from a children’s museum that was closing. It came with the stand only. I need to get the remaining gravel and walls cleaned out. Fortunately it was used for freshwater so it shouldn’t be too onerous a job.

I’m planning on a planted tank with black sand. I may have a some tall plants in a patch on the left side, but will mostly stick to low and medium sized plants. It will be a low tech tank.

If I recall correctly, one of the more popular aquarium plant providers online will design a layout for customers. They do charge a fee which is redeemable for plants. I just have to find which one it is. Anyone familiar with this company’s name?

I’m thinking of a stock of a large school of cories, a couple of schools of tetras, a few swordtails, a few German Blue Rams, and a couple of angelfish. I know I’ll need to build a rock shelter for the Rams. Any thoughts on this stocking?

More pics coming soon as I find the equipment second-hand. Once it’s set up I’ll do a fishless cycle with media from AnglesPlus. We’re military and have moved often - so I’ve used their filters quite a few times and never been disappointed.

View attachment 310701
I got this tank from a children’s museum that was closing. It came with the stand only. I need to get the remaining gravel and walls cleaned out. Fortunately it was used for freshwater so it shouldn’t be too onerous a job.

I’m planning on a planted tank with black sand. I may have a some tall plants in a patch on the left side, but will mostly stick to low and medium sized plants. It will be a low tech tank.

If I recall correctly, one of the more popular aquarium plant providers online will design a layout for customers. They do charge a fee which is redeemable for plants. I just have to find which one it is. Anyone familiar with this company’s name?

I’m thinking of a stock of a large school of cories, a couple of schools of tetras, a few swordtails, a few German Blue Rams, and a couple of angelfish. I know I’ll need to build a rock shelter for the Rams. Any thoughts on this stocking?

More pics coming soon as I find the equipment second-hand. Once it’s set up I’ll do a fishless cycle with media from AnglesPlus. We’re military and have moved often - so I’ve used their filters quite a few times and never been disappointed.
That's a really cool tank. Still needs to invest money in any type of lighting infiltration, but it's a great place to start in a nice size. I would probably do a sump on something that size for my next tank if I did one like that.

I would recommend pygmy Cory's because they're so dang cute. They are on the expensive side. They are our favorites in our 65g.

I would love to see the progress on this tank as you get it planted and as it fills in and grows. You had me at tetras and then I thought that would be enough for larger schools rather than a mix of others, but everything is personal preference.

It sounds like you have a good plan and it will be beautiful.IMG_20181017_100555.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, l want to do fewer species, larger numbers for the schooling fish. I love rummynose tetras and I think they would look really nice in a large school.

I’ll keep this thread updated.

IMG_3698.jpg

New-to-me canister filter. Marineland C-530. I think I’ll need a second filter. This one alone is rated 100-150g. But I’ve heard I need double the marked filtration.

Thanks guys. My family doesn’t share my enthusiasm so I have to get it from outside, lol.

I’m going to an aquarium society auction on Sunday. Hope to pick up another filter and some heaters for not much.

I’m currently thinking of a minimalist tank. Pool sand on the bottom with driftwood, pathos, and other non-planted plants. I think this will be less expensive than an eco-complete substrate with planted plants.

You can grow any plant in sand. Eco-complete / fluorite is a complete waste of money, they offer nothing to benefit plants and are hard to plant into.

Cheap sand is sooooo much nicer in every way --> Cheaper! easier to plant into! looks more natural! etc etc

You can grow any plant in sand. Eco-complete / fluorite is a complete waste of money, they offer nothing to benefit plants and are hard to plant into.

Cheap sand is sooooo much nicer in every way --> Cheaper! easier to plant into! looks more natural! etc etc

Just make it deep enough. I picked up some Dwarf Sag today and it planted in my tank okay, 3"ish, but my daughter's tank has only about an 1" up front and the roots didn't have room. I have black blasting sand in another tank. I'll have to say regular play sand was easier to plant into, but if you're into the dark substrate don't discount the blasting sand, just get a finer grade.

My suggest, go thicker and get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to do your areration. I got a great deal on the Sag from a local hobbyist on FB. We agreed 20 plants for $10. He ended up giving me 50 with a few bonus plants and maybe a Ramshorn Snail, it'll have to grow a little. I had to toss him a few more dollars for the generosity, but it's great to have people that understand and support our sickness.

Back
Top Bottom