fluval edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The average, well looked after, tropical community fish can go without food for two weeks without problems. Some mouth brooders will even go up to 4 weeks without food while holding young :)

The pH dropped probably because your KH is low, which means that your water isn't that buffered. The reason it crashed is probably directly related to your filter cycling, the process created H+ (acid) ions, see Nitrification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more details.

Be careful: pH of 6.2 is approximately 6.5 times lower than 7.0 because it's on a logarithmic scale. My immediate advice is to measure your pH after the new (tap?) water has sat in a clean and rinsed glass for 24 hours and to do a few water changes today and tomorrow until the pH is back at 7.0. For example, something like this should be relatively safe:
* now: 10% water change
* hour 1: 15% water change
* hour 2: 15% water change
* hour 3: 25% water change
* hour 4: 25% water change
* hour 5: 35% water change
…etc, until you get up to 95% water change. This should slowly return your pH to a safer and more effective 7.0. Apart from the fact that pH crashes are very harmful to (and can kill) fish and crustaceans, filter bacteria also don't work very well at low pHs.
My slightly longer term recommendations are to do larger daily water changes for the duration of the cycle, get a KH and GH test kits (if someone's KH is low enough for pH crashes, then I think they should test it every 1-2 weeks in the long term anyway) and add a coupld of crushed mussel shells to the filter.

Once the filter is cycled, the pH should remain relatively stable, especially in a planted tank.

So I really appreciate your advice a lot,as of this evening my ph was still at 6.2-ammo 0-nitrites 0 & nitrates between 0&2.5...I added a small amount of crushed coral I keep for my African tank's filtration..tommorrow I will begin the process of which you described to replace 95% of the water,will keep ya up to date on process..once again ,thank you for the continues help...

Yep, crushed coral will do just as well. If you can keep it around 7.0 for the duration of the cycle, then that would be ideal because at higher pHs, more of the ammonia is toxic, but at lower pHs, it takes longer to cycle.

That should have said "test your tap water pH after it has sat in a glass for 24 hours", I just read back and though I made it sound confusing!

If you like, you can stop worrying about/testing the nitrates for the moment. In the long term, I usually recommend 25 ppm as the upper side, which is achievable with plants, but it won't be going that high until your filter is cycled :)

Hi Kat,so this morning o began the water changes,gonna space em about an hour & half apart until I reach the 95% mark...will report back again later...

So 95% wc complete,ph rose slightly..ammo at 0& nitrite at 0..will recheck on the morning..

Did you get the test on the tap water done? If the tap water (after sitting) matches your tank water, you can now do larger water changes without worrying about causing "pH shock" (water hardness, not just the pH is responsible for it).

Ah, right.. what are you adding to it to buffer it back up? You might want to increase the dosage to prevent another pH crash.

As of now crushed coral to the filter,that's it..but not really 100% sure just how much to add to buffer it up to a ph of 7...

Depending on what membranes you use for the RO water, the RO water on its own might not be any good at all for the animals or plants because they need at least some trace minerals in the water to survive. The lack of salts in the water (and I'm not talking about table salt here) is also the reason why you had a pH crash as carbonates are what prevent it from crashing.

So, either you need to mix some left over water or tap water back into the RO water or you need add some commercial product.

Hurried up to the lfs & picked up neutral regulator,this should get the ph to 7.0...

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that those are not a good idea… unless you keep the concentration of them at all times high (which might involve daily additions), they would cause a worse pH crash than not using them. The best way to monitor the concentration is with a KH kit and you would still need to add something for the GH as well unless this buffer contains that too (which is unlikely).

So what in your opinion is the best remedy for this situation? Also I want to keep my soft water...

So spoke to my lfs guy,recommended removing 1 gallon&replacing with 1 gallon of treated tap water to help with raising the ph...

My recommendation is use only treated tap water or 50/50 tap and RO water. The recommendation from your LFS is completely right in this case.

Why do you want soft water? Are you planning to breed soft water fish? Or keep plants which can survive only in soft water? Because most plants, fish and aquatic animals will do better in neutral to hard water than soft water and that includes fish classes as "soft water fish". It might help if you post a list of your animals and plants…

I agree with Kat, you should use 50% tap water (dechlorinated of course) and 50% RO water. This will ensure you have a lower pH than straight tap water, but you also have the salts/carbonates that Kat mentioned. Doing this will keep your pH from crashing and also keep all the animals happy and healthy.

The reason I've been insistant on soft water(ro)is that I'm keeping shrimp(crystal red,crystal black&cherry),which require soft water..but you are correct about mixing the ro w/tap..did so earlier&results are as follows:ph 7.2- ammo 0- nitrite 0..2nd day in a row with double 0's on ammo&nitrite..seems like the cycle is moving along..

A pic just taken of the tank today...plants are as follows:java moss,java fern,fox tail,red wendti,baby tears,dwarf baby tears&a moss ball..once again thx for the advice&will keep updating on parameters....

ForumRunner_20111122_163350.jpg

The reason I've been insistant on soft water(ro)is that I'm keeping shrimp(crystal red,crystal black&cherry),which require soft water..but you are correct about mixing the ro w/tap..did so earlier&results are as follows:ph 7.2- ammo 0- nitrite 0..2nd day in a row with double 0's on ammo&nitrite..seems like the cycle is moving along..
You might want to double check because as far as I've ever read, most shrimp should ideally have neutral to ever so slightly hard water as they have exoskeletons which need to grow and be maintained, and this requires calcium, etc, which *I think* comes primarily from the water. At any rate, soft water would slowly dissolve the exoskeleton or prevent the new one from forming properly.

Plants look good ;)

Did some checking&you're 100% correct,wasn't for sure if the pic would show the plants well..thx:)Do you have any experience African Cichlids?my African Reef Tank 75g

ForumRunner_20111122_203130.jpg

Back
Top Bottom